This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 12:55 PM by matthew_morris RSS

No networking topics in either associate or professional exam?

970295 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi. Having passed the OCA I am preparing for the professional exam, and am curious as to the apparent absence of java.net topics... I am not surprised to see JDBC, higher-level design issues, more on generics and collections, concurrency, localization, etc. -- but shouldn't somewhere along the way you have to demonstrate that you know a socket from a sock drawer? Or is that left entirely to a different certification?

P.S. This is fun.
  • 1. Re: No networking topics in either associate or professional exam?
    matthew_morris Expert
    ...that you know a socket from a sock drawer?
    Wait. There's a difference?

Or is that left entirely to a different certification?
    I'm a PL/SQL programmer by trade. I can stumble through Java code in a pinch, but it's definitely not my language of choice. My answer therefore is more through the lens of my experience with Oracle certifications than with the language itself.

The Java certifications were inherited, of course, when Oracle bought out Sun. My understanding is that the tests that existed at the time of the buyout were pulled over unchanged by OE. If OE follows the pattern of their other exams, then updates of the tests for newer editions of Java would draw extremely heavily on the topics of earlier versions, dropping any obsolete data and adding in topics for new features/capabilities. Put another way, if Sun didn't have networking topics, OE would be unlikely to add them.
  • 2. Re: No networking topics in either associate or professional exam?
    bigdelboy Pro
    967292 wrote:
    Hi. Having passed the OCA I am preparing for the professional exam, and am curious as to the apparent absence of java.net topics... I am not surprised to see JDBC, higher-level design issues, more on generics and collections, concurrency, localization, etc. -- but shouldn't somewhere along the way you have to demonstrate that you know a socket from a sock drawer? Or is that left entirely to a different certification?

P.S. This is fun.
    More chance over at {forum:id=923} that a more appropriate connection can be made to your socket. I do not offer soap, only zfs scrub, and Pompey Lil. You may also search topics for relevant exams at http://certificaiton.oracle.com yourself.

Good Luck.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points