This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 10:13 PM by yakub21 RSS

Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?

yakub21 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've installed Oracle RAC (asm) on Red Hat Linux 4 and 5 with no issues using NFS and creating shared files and presented them to ASM as devices with no issues.

Now I'm encountering issues with Oracle 11gR2 ASM install on Red Hat Linux 6.1 and the install documentation is not clear about how can I use NFS shared presented empty files to ASM so that I can successfully install ASM. I understand that Oracle is not providing ASMLib for raw devices for Red Hat linux 6 going forward.

I understand that asmlib is not to be supported on Red Hat Linux 6 going forward however I would appreciate supporting information for ASM on Red Hat Linux 6 using NFS share and created empty files using dd. This has worked on Linux 5 and I'm trying to find a solution.

/sbin/scsi_id is used for which I understand. exm /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -d <device or dd empty file>

SCSI Devices Trusted configuration by adding entry to /etc/scsi_id.config

UDEV Rules advice would be appreciated.

Since I am using empty files to server to ASM, should I use partprobe <path of empty file ?> ?

THanks
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi Friend,

Good Query and Good Post.

UDEV SCSI Rules Configuration for ASM in Oracle for Redhat Linux 6 :

Quick refresher:

- udev supplies the system software with device events, manages permissions of device nodes and may create additional symlinks in the /dev directory, or renames network interfaces.
    - udev rules are executed in enumerated order
    - 10-* rules are run before 20-*
    – device-mapper rules are 10-* rules therefore ours will be 20-*

1. Create an udev rule file
    /etc/udev/rules.d/20-redhat_dell_oracle.rules

2. Populate with the following:
    • KERNEL=="dm-*", PROGRAM="scsi_id --page=0x83 --whitelisted
    --
    device=/dev/%k",RESULT=="360026b9000618571000008b54ea5360b
    ", OWNER:="grid", GROUP:="asmadmin"
    • KERNEL=="dm-*", PROGRAM="scsi_id --page=0x83 --whitelisted
    --
    device=/dev/%k",RESULT=="360026b900061855e000008a54ea5356a
    ", OWNER:="grid", GROUP:="asmadmin"

3. Load Updated Block Device Partitions (/sbin/partprobe)

Example: # /sbin/partprobe /dev/sdb1
    # /sbin/partprobe /dev/sdc1

4. Test Rules (udevtest)

Example : # udevtest /block/sdb/sdb1

5. Restart UDEV Service

# /sbin/udevcontrol reload_rules
    # /sbin/start_udev

6. Check Ownership and Permissions
    # cd /dev
    # ls -al asm-disk*

Note 1 : Confirm dm- devices have correct user:group perms
    Note 2 : Confirm multipath aliases
    Note 3 : Confirm that the device-mapper-multipath daemon does in fact recognizes the multiple paths

Hope it helps.....

Thanks
    LaserSoft
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    yakub21 Newbie
    I've created two partitions from one disk.

* Used the dd command to create 4 block device files which are exported and shared to two other servers.
    * The two other servers are able to see the exported filesystems (block device files)
    * During the install of Oracle 11gr2 ASM, I'm getting an error at the very end of the install indicating that the block files are not shared when in fact they are shared. On previous releases I was able to use Oracle ASMLib however now ASMLib is not supported for Red Hat Linux 6.1 and must now use UDEV. I've tried the above suggestion as far as I could however it does not address specifically block devices i.e., dd zero out files.

Appreciate Your Technical Advice in Advance
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    863397 Newbie
    Hi,

Configure your UDEV rules, as shown
    http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/udev-scsi-rules-configuration-in-oracle-linux-5-and-6.php

Rrgards,
    Gajendra B
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

if this is cluvfy run in the installer telling you that your devices are not shared, disregard that (if you are personally sure they are shared).
    This seems to be an annoying error with cluvfy, that the shared disk check only runs in special circumstances....

To be honest, I never saw it work correctly, so I am testing the "sharedness" of the devices always myself (dd in on one node, dd out on the other to see the expected results).

If the error however comes up at a later time (root.sh), then the devices are really not shared, or you have a permission problem.

Regards

Sebastian
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    spiral Newbie
    Hi Sebastian,

You said

so I am testing the "sharedness" of the devices always myself (dd in on one node, dd out on the other to see the expected results)

Didn't quite get how you do this test using dd.

I have used dd command only for data wiping purpose (aka zero padding) when preparing LUNS for ASM diskgroup
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1000
    Is this what you are talking about ?
  • 6. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

no I simply write something with dd

<node1>$ dd if=/tmp/txtfile of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M count=1

and try if I can read the contents on the other server:

<node2>$ dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/tmp/txtfile bs=1M count=1

If the contents of txtfile on node2 equals the textfile on node1 (with some more zeros if your txtfile was smaller than 1 MB), then the device is most likely shared.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 8. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    yakub21 Newbie
    Thank but this link "http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/udev-scsi-rules-configuration-in-oracle-linux-5-and-6.php" is for "Oracle Linux" and not Red Hat Linux 6.

Could someone provide guidance on using UDEV on Red Hat Linux 6 to implement Oracle ASM RAC Database? Thanks in advance.
  • 9. Re: Oracle 11gR2 database 11.2.0.3 install RAC (ASM) red hat linux 6 asmlib ?
    yakub21 Newbie
    I upgraded to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 and was able to successfully install and configure Oracle Grid Infrastructure 11.2.0.3 ASM on a two node Citrix XenServer 6.1 without asmlib.
    Verified that all of the required rpm's were installed.
    After the successful install both ASM1 and ASM2 were configured to external storage.

It is clear to me now that You don't need asmlib to create the asm databases for Oracle Real Application Cluster.

Edited by: yakub21 on Feb 8, 2013 1:13 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points