This content has been marked as final. Show 10 replies
Pl post the correct OS version - I do not believe Linux 2.6 is correct :-)1 person found this helpful
Does the file "/etc/oraInst.loc" exist ? If so, pl post the contents of this file.
I think you found my problem.
Linux xxxxx.com 2.6.18-274.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jul 8 17:36:59 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ <none> /export/home/oracle>cat /etc/oraInst.loc
I will edit this file and correct it and then let you know how it goes.
Well, I corrected that file, but it still giving me the same error.
Should I delete the /etc/ora* files? (oraInst.loc and oratab)?
Funny thing.... even though I had updated and corrected the oraInst.loc file, it apparently still had it in memory or something.
I decided to rename it (to appear it is deleted), and now the installer appears to be working.
Yes - edit the file (or rename this file and create a new one) to point to the inventory location you want to use.
Also, your OS is Linux 5.7 (not 2.6)
Thank you Srini, that works.
Well, after I got all the way through the installation screens, I got the error:
OUI-10182:The effective user ID does not match the owner of the file, or the process is not the super-user; the system indicates that super-user privilege is required
Originally, the oracle user was a different userID and group, but I've doubled checked everything I can think of and everything looks correct.
Checking passwd and group files, and showing result of ID (that I run as Oracle when I run the runInstaller).
uid=152(oracle) gid=501(dba) groups=501(dba)
$ grep oracle /etc/group
$ grep oracle /etc/passwd
Also, I should add that from the same screen that I ran the installer, I can touch a file in the /oracle/oraInventory location.
new issue with creating file in inventory location
Pl check the owner/permissions of the /etc/oraInst.log file and also of the inventory directory that the file points to.
Well, before I removed (renamed) the /etc/oraInst.loc file so that the installer would work.
Now I renamed it back and now the installer works and it is actually doing the installation too now.
This is strange. No explanation.
I did remove some socket file that was in /tmp directory that was owned by the old oracle user (different ID and GID).
Anyway, that seems to have worked.
Noiw, when I ran root.sh, it asked me to overwrite the old dbhome, oraenv and coraenv files.
Of course, I said YES since this is now a different user ID and GID and totally new installation.