This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 7:41 AM by RenévanWijk RSS

Meaning of /security/realm-name in weblogic-application.xml?

shoening Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

within the weblogic-application.xml file I can specify a "realm-name" within the "security" tag.

My first thought was that I can select one of a list of configured realms within a weblogic domain.
I have created a second realm with the name "SampleRealm". To verify, that this realm is valid I made it the default realm, restarted the server and connected to the
AdminServer. Afterwards I switched the default realm back to "myrealm" and restarted the server again.

When I start the application with "realm-name" in "weblogic-application.xml", which is not the "default realm" I am getting an error message:

weblogic.security.service.InvalidParameterException: [Security:090396]Security Realm SampleRealm does not exist

Whe I active "SampleRealm" (make it the default realm), I can start the application.

So I have two questions:
1) Why can I configure a "realm-name" inside weblogic-application.xml if the only valid value is the name of the realm which is configured as default-realm?
2) Is there any other intended use of multiple realms within one domain than being able to import/export from an existing realm into a new one?

Thanks
Stefan
  • 1. Re: Meaning of /security/realm-name in weblogic-application.xml?
    RenévanWijk Oracle ACE
    You sort of wish this (from the documentation http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24329_01/web.1211/e24368/app_xml.htm#i1007581)

"<realm-name> Optional 1 Names a security realm to be used by the application. If none is specified, the system default realm is used"

holds true.

For the second question:
    - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24329_01/web.1211/e24422/overview.htm#SECMG117

"You can configure multiple security realms in a domain; however, only one can be the active security realm."

When you look at that line, it also makes sense why the realm-name configuration does not work, as only one can be active and that is the default domain.
  • 2. Re: Meaning of /security/realm-name in weblogic-application.xml?
    shoening Newbie
    Hi,

I know these documentations.

For 1): The fact, that I can configure a "realm-name" in weblogic-application.xml misleaded me to the assumption, that I can specify one of the configured realms inside the domain. But this is not true. (If I configure a realm, which is not the default realm, I get an exception.)

The way it is working now seems to be a manual version of the useless box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqAUmgE3WyM) - I have to change the "realm-name" to the name of the default realm. So there is no sense, specifying that value at all - is it?

Yours
    Stefan
  • 3. Re: Meaning of /security/realm-name in weblogic-application.xml?
    RenévanWijk Oracle ACE
    "So there is no sense, specifying that value at all - is it?"

You are absolutely right!

Just leave it alone, as it will automatically pick the default realm anyway.

But the video is fun, thanks :-)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points