This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 6:11 AM by kps204020 RSS

Adjust row-height in an interactive report for all rows

kps204020 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I have an interactive report with lots of data in some cells. The height of the rows heights varies, so that all data can be seen in the cells.
I'd like to fix or limit the row height to a specific value, so that all rows are shown with the same height.
Does anyone know, how to gain this? Thanks in advance.

Edited by: kps204020 on 26.12.2012 20:27
  • 1. Re: Adjust row-height in an interactive report for all rows
    kps204020 Newbie
    Nobody has an idea?
  • 2. Re: Adjust row-height in an interactive report for all rows
    fac586 Guru
    kps204020 wrote:
    Nobody has an idea?
    Yes. Lots. But we don't know what the right ones are because you haven't told us

<li>What APEX version you're using
    <li>What theme you're using
    <li>What browser(s)/version(s) you're using

There are a lot of other things that might determine the best way to do this, like what kind of data is involved, and what IR features are being used. Again you've provided no information about this. When you have a question about page layout or visual formatting by far the best way to get a fast, helpful response is to show us the problem with an example on apex.oracle.com, which eliminates the need to provide lots of information and unnecessary description here.

Start with the following CSS rule in the IR page HTML Header:
    <style>
    .apexir_WORKSHEET_DATA td {
      height: 6em; /* Without knowing about the nature of the data it's impossible to provide the correct value here: experiment. */
      vertical-align: top; /* Again, no information about alignment requirements provided. */
    }
    </style>
  • 3. Re: Adjust row-height in an interactive report for all rows
    kps204020 Newbie
    Thanks a lot for your response.
    I've tried your proposal, but it has no affect. The report cells show all their content using as much lines as necessary for this. So I still have rows with lots of lines and rows with only a few lines mixed in my IR dependant on the cell content. Because some rows filling nearly the whole screen, it is difficult to get an overview with regard to adjacent rows.
    I'm using Application Express 4.1.1.00.23. with Theme 21. Scarlet and Firefox 17.0.1.
    Actually I'm working on my first APEX Solution for usage in my company and the customers demanding a solution for this topic . So I'm very keen to find a solution.
    I'm very much looking forward to your response.
  • 4. Re: Adjust row-height in an interactive report for all rows
    fac586 Guru
    kps204020 wrote:
    Thanks a lot for your response.
    I've tried your proposal, but it has no affect. The report cells show all their content using as much lines as necessary for this.
    This is the default behaviour for HTML table data (tables and cells expand to fit their content).
    So I still have rows with lots of lines and rows with only a few lines mixed in my IR dependant on the cell content. Because some rows filling nearly the whole screen, it is difficult to get an overview with regard to adjacent rows.
    I'm using Application Express 4.1.1.00.23. with Theme 21. Scarlet and Firefox 17.0.1.
    Are all users using Firefox?
    Actually I'm working on my first APEX Solution for usage in my company and the customers demanding a solution for this topic . So I'm very keen to find a solution.
    I'm very much looking forward to your response.
    I've been involved with similar issues in the past. My first response is simple: Does this data have to be shown in the report? Can the offending column(s) be removed from the primary report? They will still be visible in the single row view, and the detail view if there is one.

The second option is to create a detail view for the report with a structure that is better suited to the data involved, and make this the default view. (For an example of this, see the treatment of the PRODUCT_DESCRIPTION column in the detail view of the Products report in the Sample Database Application: click on the View Detail button on the Products page.)

The third possibility is some kind of customization of the presentation of the data. This will involve using some combination of HTML/CSS/Dynamic Actions/Plug-ins/JavaScript that you may not be familiar with: do you have experience of these? To go down that route you need to describe in detail how you want to present the data, or what behaviour is required when the data is too long, and share an example of the report on apex.oracle.com that we can work with.
  • 5. Re: Adjust row-height in an interactive report for all rows
    kps204020 Newbie
    Thanks for your helpful advices.
    I was not clear about the default behaviour of HTML table data (tables and cells expand to fit their content).
    I also didn't notice the capability of the detail view enabled in the Search Bar.
    Although the requirement to limit the row height is not achieved yet, I'll try to get a better suited structure of the Report Data with those topics.
    Regarding your third option:
    Unfortunately I actually have not enough experience in using HTML/CSS/Dynamic Actions/Plug-ins/JavaScript. In addition to that, the time of my application's go live is the end of next January.
    Another idea of mine is, to shorten the output data to a limit (select lpad), though that affects the full-text search in the IR Search Bar.
    Again thanks for your support.
    With all good wishes for the new year.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points