This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 2:09 PM by sscdvp RSS

The correct way to create a Solaris 11.1 zone

qwe25256 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have been using zones for ages, but I think i have been creating network zone incorrectly, since I am getting some strange errors in there default routers when all interfaces are on the same subnet.

So, to create a simple network zone I thought both were valid.
Option 1) Specify IP at first boot via sysconfig:
set ip-type=exclusive
add anet
set linkname=net0
set lower-link=auto
set configure-allowed-address=false

Option 2) Specify IP in zone information, so that it can be changed at ant time easily:
set ip-type=exclusive
add anet
set linkname=net0
set lower-link=auto
set allowed-address=193.x.x.x
set configure-allowed-address=true

But option 2 with Solaris 11.1 now gives we strange results in the routing table.

Any pointers?

Andrew

Edited by: qwe25256 on Dec 13, 2012 5:51 AM (Hit save to quickly last time)
  • 1. Re: The correct way to create a Solaris 11.1 zone
    qwe25256 Newbie
    Well after some work I tracked the problem down to the way the zone is confured in Solaris 11.1. This problem occurres only when you are using a single subnet.

When you specify the network address in the zone configuration file (allowed-address=nn.nn.nn.nn) then you get a different default router in the zone as you do in the global zone. Not sure if this is a bug or the way it does it, since it works differently in Solaris 11.0

To get over this and may be the correct way, I now specify all network IP information in the zone via the sysconfig, which works. I prefered the other way, since I could swap an IP address of a zone via zonecfg and then a quick reboot of the zone.

Never mind.

Andrew.
    I have a Oracle Call already open so I will try to pin down if this is a bug or not.
  • 2. Re: The correct way to create a Solaris 11.1 zone
    qwe25256 Newbie
    Oracle gave me the solution. I was missing the mask on the IP address. If you want to add the IP and router in the zone configuration file, then the solution is as follow:

set ip-type=exclusive
    add anet
    set linkname=net0
    set lower-link=auto
    set allowed-address=193.10.10.x/24
    set defrouter=193.10.10.245
    set configure-allowed-address=true

Thanks,

Andrew
  • 3. Re: The correct way to create a Solaris 11.1 zone
    sscdvp Newbie
    Probably a little off-topic.
    If you have more network interfaces in NGZ and at least one of them was set with configure-allowed-address=false (you have mentioned it as Option 1), then you will have more weird results after zone boots: this will prevent other network interface (which were added after the mentioned interface) creation in non-global zones.
    We have an opened CR 16538240 on that problem (Solaris 11 zones property "configure-allowed-address" impacting for others anets)

Regards,
    Serghei

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points