This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 9:09 PM by bandit84 RSS

SMB sharing question

Stlouis1 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a question, I know I'm doing something wrong, and I'm looking for direction

here's the scenario

I have the following file systems, i'm going to use example names for the sake of privacy

pool/users | smb share name = users$
pool/users/user1 | smb share name = user1$
pool/users/user2 | smb share name = user2$
pool/users/user3 | smb share name = user3$

each user is mapping a home drive to its respective share

I want my admin account to map the root users$ share. the problem is, when i do this, I don't see the the individual user folders....

I'm suspecting their not inheritering a certain property, and that's what i'm looking for help with, because i've clearly done something wrong, missed something, or there's something i just havent done right
  • 1. Re: SMB sharing question
    cindys Pro
    Hi St. Louis,

I'm not that great with SMB sharing but I reviewed this issue with someone who is.

I'm a terrible middleman but he thinks this issue is related to this bug:

15410713 Child Mounts

The Solaris SMB implementation does not yet support the ability to traverse
    a file system that is mounted in a SMB share. This is handled in Windows through
    referrals. Our current SMB sharing does not support hierarchical traversal.

I believe the jist of this is that if each of your user*$ shares are actual file systems
    rather than just plain directories, then you won't see the individual folders. You might
    run a quick test by creating user directories rather than file systems to see if this
    resolves the problem.

Thanks, Cindy

I see from the Solarsi SMB guide that it refers to shares (directories).
  • 2. Re: SMB sharing question
    Stlouis1 Newbie
    ughr, really.....

child folders do show, i knew that before.

that sounds like that is the issue though....wonderful
  • 3. Re: SMB sharing question
    bandit84 Newbie
    I'm experiencing this same issue. Is it considered a bug or just a feature that is not available? If I create a regular folder in the mypool/myfilesystem/ it shows owner as a regular user. Once I do "zfs create mypool/myfilesystem/name_of_existing_folder" then the permissions show as the owner being root. Once this happens the folder disappears. If I want access to it I either use SSH or mount it directly (smb://IPADDRESS/name_of_existing_folder). Another thing I noticed is that if the folder is existing and you create a zfs filesystem on top of it the folder must be empty. Otherwise it will give you an error saying the filesystem was created but it was not mounted because it's not empty. We now have to sync our old user share directory on a folder by folder basis, which makes it really tough.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points