This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 3:56 AM by Osama_Mustafa RSS

What should i plan for the year 2013...

user8983130 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am working for a IT shop for 3.5 years as an Oracle dba. And today i ask myself what i have done in these days and what i i have learn in 3.5 years. The result is =0. I know nothing. As a dba i do regular dba task and whenever some thing happen , i jumped this forum , get the answer and apply. I am so frustrated. But enough is enough. From know i have decided every day i would spend 4-5 hours on studying as i have stay ofs for a long time but work pressure is very very less. But now the question...from where i would start and what would be the area i should cover. I have some conceptual idea about oracle,rman and data guard. Now i want to make a list how i would plan the course..Plss suggest:

I want to plan like:

1.Oracle Concept

2.RAC..

3.Pl/Sql

4.Shell...

5Any thing that is relevant with the career path .
So on....

Please give me some suggestion how i would advance with different feature which i would help to survive for a long time???

Regards,
  • 1. Re: What should i plan for the year 2013...
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    The first step is definitely to read the concepts guide.

Then for a DBA I strongly recommend that you forget being a DBA and write SQL and PL/SQL until you can write a stored procedure with nested loops using BULK COLLECT without having to read the docs ... then ... go back and read the 2 Day DBA doc.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about shell scripting ... I haven't found many justifications for writing one in a very long time. I also wouldn't spend too much time, for awhile, worrying about RAC or Data Guard and other high-end features. What makes a strong DBA is understanding the basics which these days is getting rarer and rarer as things are dumbed down.
  • 2. Re: What should i plan for the year 2013...
    EdStevens Guru
    user8983130 wrote:
    Hi,

I am working for a IT shop for 3.5 years as an Oracle dba. And today i ask myself what i have done in these days and what i i have learn in 3.5 years. The result is =0. I know nothing. As a dba i do regular dba task and whenever some thing happen , i jumped this forum , get the answer and apply. I am so frustrated. But enough is enough. From know i have decided every day i would spend 4-5 hours on studying as i have stay ofs for a long time but work pressure is very very less. But now the question...from where i would start and what would be the area i should cover. I have some conceptual idea about oracle,rman and data guard. Now i want to make a list how i would plan the course..Plss suggest:

I want to plan like:

1.Oracle Concept

2.RAC..

3.Pl/Sql

4.Shell...

5Any thing that is relevant with the career path .
    So on....

Please give me some suggestion how i would advance with different feature which i would help to survive for a long time???

Regards,
    First, I would build a personal sandbox system to play with.
    - Download VirtualBox and install it.
    - download Oracle Linux and use it to create a virtual machine under Vbox
    - download Oracle 11.2.0.1 Enterprise and install it on your virtual server.

Oracle also has some pre-configured systems to run under VBox but for your case I'd strongly recommend to NOT use them. Build your sandbox from scratch, from the ground up. Yes, it will be a struggle but you will learn much in the process. Any shortcuts, like a pre-configured vm, simply remove a lot of learning opportunities.

Once you have a working VM on your personal computer, you can practice anything you want, including recovery if you break it. In addition to practicing SQL and PL/SQL, I'd really focus on backup and recovery with rman. The recovery manual even has a series of recovery scenarios to work through ....

And get familiar with the documentation

Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab (for 10.x) or the "Master Book List" link (for 11.x) you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
    - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
    - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
    - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
    - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.
  • 3. Re: What should i plan for the year 2013...
    jgarry Guru
    I disagree about the shell scripting. I use it every day, and there is some syntactical crossover with other things I need to use because Oracle does, but not every day, like perl. For someone looking to the future, they are likely to run into some place where the skill is necessary, if just to maintain old cruft.

Teach a man to fish, and you might be [url http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego-man-lands-445-pound-yellowfin-tuna-off-mexican-coast12102012]amazed.
  • 4. Re: What should i plan for the year 2013...
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    I don't know where i red this but its true

to become Oracle DBA :
    step 1. lose your mind.
    step 2. never sleep.

you should Start With Reading Oracle Documentation , Create your Own VMware or virtualbox testing on it . must be able to keep up with the rapidly changing world of technology. Since technology is rapidly changing . To reach a level of expertise one needs patience and continuous efforts.
    This is very important because in the life of a DBA the major challenges occur with the working of a database itself. To be an expert, it is highly recommended that you join a good training institute

https://education.oracle.com/

OR

http://tahiti.oracle.com/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points