2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 5:31 PM by jsmith RSS

Display clipping after Y_AXIS Rotate Transform in Java8 beta

Aloha,

I recently needed to resolve a QuantumRenderer thread concurrency issue that has been resolved in the pending release of JavaFX. That was great news!

However, now with this version, the portion left of the Y rotation axis does not redraw for any angle other than 0 and 360. This behavior is also observed in SceneBuilder, so I am pretty confident the issue does originate from my Java code.

I was hoping someone might have a clever work around to manually "play" with the cache. Or maybe my FXML layout might be causing an issue? Thus SceneBuilder's clipping rotation as well?

I'm going to play with CacheHint and DepthTest settings in SceneBuilder, but I am really just guessing at this point.

Mahalo for any thoughts,

Todd
        • 1. Re: Display clipping after Y_AXIS Rotate Transform in Java8 beta
          OK Guys,

Hunting through the JavaFX issue reports, there are many rendering reports for the Rotate transforms.

I did however resolve MY issue with using a Scale Transform rather than a Rotate Transform. With my transparent canvas, they are visually equivilant. I'm sure I just shot myself in the foot playing with the "camera" angle, which seemed intuitive, but just didn't seem to get the job done.

Again, thaks to all who read and help here. What a great forum!!

Malama Pono
          • 2. Re: Display clipping after Y_AXIS Rotate Transform in Java8 beta
            jsmith
            The issue with your original rotate is likely that you are rotating with a zero z co-ordinate and using a ParallelCamera which clips along a near plane z=0 and a far plane of (approx) z = sceneheight (i.e. ParallelCamera is pretty much useless for any 3d work).

Likely if you switch to a PerspectiveCamera for the scene, the rotation will work (though in perspective now - which you may not have wanted). This is because PerspectiveCamera has a different set of clip panes, with a near plane clip at a negative z value.

At least those were some of the quirks of how these things work when I tested it a long time back.

The most likely related jira issue is: http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-15117 "Clipping doesn't work for objects in 3D"

See also:
            RotateTransition.SetAxis cuts off half my object? Any fix? Z to X Axis!!! "Re: RotateTransition.SetAxis cuts off half my object? Any fix? Z to X Axis!!!"
            Re: How far is the eye from the z=0 plane,when using the PerspectiveCamera? "Thread: How far is the eye from the z=0 plane,when using the PerspectiveCamera?"