This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 10:23 AM by CKPT RSS

recovering for a archive gap

966684 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Using Oracle 11gR2 on RHEL 5.6. My Primary and Standby had different locations for datafiles and redolog files.

Since the Standby has a big gap with the Primary due to a network outage, plan to do an incremental rollforward.

Previously I have done a rollforward where file locations were same with no issues.

Intend to follow the steps as in http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/scenarios.htm#CIHIAADC.

Now as per above Oracle reference why do I need to do ; I have already used earlier db_file_name_convert, log_file_name_convert in my pfile to create the DG.

1. remove all online logs/standby logs in standby directories
2. Standby – Clear all standby redo logs

If I need to do then will the above files be created automatically when I start the MRP?

Pleas advise ..
  • 1. Re: recovering for a archive gap
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

What is a big gap? Number and redo size please.

How many days is this?

Do the logs still exist on the Primary?

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 2. Re: recovering for a archive gap
    966684 Newbie
    Hi,

No, alll the archive logs don't exist on Primary. Its a gap of 15 days. Archive log size is 150mb..Daily around 2/3 Gb of archives logs generated.
  • 3. Re: recovering for a archive gap
    mseberg Guru
    OK.

First off you have a setup problem if your archive log are no longer on your primary. If RMAN removed them you should configure it to APPLIED on STANDBY.

RMAN> configure archivelog deletion policy to applied on standby;

I answered your question because I have dealt with some large gaps. However I have not done what you are trying. My friend CKPT has this excellent document :

RMAN Incremental Backups to Roll Forward a Physical Standby Database

http://www.oracle-ckpt.com/category/dataguard/page/6/

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 4. Re: recovering for a archive gap
    966684 Newbie
    mseberg wrote:
    OK.

First off you have a setup problem if your archive log are no longer on your primary. If RMAN removed them you should configure it to APPLIED on STANDBY.

RMAN> configure archivelog deletion policy to applied on standby;
    Do I have to set this on Primary and Standby both ?
    I answered your question because I have dealt with some large gaps. However I have not done what you are trying. My friend CKPT has this excellent document :

RMAN Incremental Backups to Roll Forward a Physical Standby Database

http://www.oracle-ckpt.com/category/dataguard/page/6/
    Have cheked the link earlier, it doesn't refer to my situation. My file locations/mount points are different.

If my MRP is stopped and I delete my standby and online redo logs in Standby. Then will it create automatically in Standby based on the control file restored when I start my managed recovery? This step is as per my first link.
  • 5. Re: recovering for a archive gap
    mseberg Guru
    Hello again;

Sorry for the Delay.

I generally set this on the Primary ( But I back up there ).

On the Standby I set it to "None"

This may also help :

Archivelog Deletion Policy Applied On All Standby is Ignored [ID 1313893.1]

I have not done the restore you speak of and I'm sorry I don't know if they will recreate or not.

If the database is small enough recreate from active primary might be an option. I'm think a database size 400 GB or smaller.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 6. Re: recovering for a archive gap
    966684 Newbie
    Was thinking of a backup/restore. DB size is around 500G.

But how do we clear the archive logs in standby automatically? Your setting will delete from primary when the logs are applied on standby.
  • 7. Re: recovering for a archive gap
    CKPT Guru
    963681 wrote:
    Was thinking of a backup/restore. DB size is around 500G.

But how do we clear the archive logs in standby automatically? Your setting will delete from primary when the logs are applied on standby.
    Mseberg mentioned the MOS note Archivelog Deletion Policy Applied On All Standby is Ignored [ID 1313893.1]
    or prepare an shell script to initiate RMAN to delete archives older than 4 days as per the archive location space you have.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points