This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 6:58 AM by Tridus RSS

Instant client and ODBC driver - How to install it

624869 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I've to install ODBC drivers required by a Windows application ( Windesign ).
I've downloaded on Oracle website :
- instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip
- instantclient-jdbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip
- ODBC driver - Oracle 10.1.exe
- ODBC driver - Oracle 10.2.exe
- ODBC driver - Oracle 9.01.exe
- ODBC driver - Oracle 9.02.exe
But any of them contains install.exe or something like that !!!...
So I don't understand how to install instant client ...
I've found a doc on the web : " ... copy unzipped files into a folder ( ex.: C:\Oracle\InstantClient ) and add Environment Variables TNS_ADMIN and PATH ) ... "
I did it. But while adding ODBC driver with Windows admin tools , only SQL Server is available !!!....
Thanks for your help. ...
Note : I work on Windows 7 64 bits

Edited by: Ponteprimo on 17 déc. 2012 12:17
  • 1. Re: Instant client and ODBC driver - How to install it
    Tridus Journeyer
    Try installing the second download on this page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

That one has an installer and will set everything up for you.
  • 2. Re: Instant client and ODBC driver - How to install it
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Ponteprimo wrote:
    I've to install ODBC drivers required by a Windows application ( Windesign ).
    One fairly common idea is that a "odbc driver" is standalone, which is wrong.
    Database client stack is in general required for the ODBC driver to use -- think of it as sitting at the application layer. Then the "end" application is a layer on top. That's one reason to differentiate between native and odbc apps. ODBC apps require an additional API layer over the native API layer e.g. OCI in Oracle's case.

What you need is, at least, instant client basic or basiclite and instant client odbc packages.

If application "Windesign" is 32-bit, download from here, noting the little "nt" in zip file name:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html

Or if application is 64-bit, this is the place, packages tagged with "windows.x64" instead:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winx64soft-089540.html

I've downloaded on Oracle website :
    - instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip
    - instantclient-jdbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip
    - ODBC driver - Oracle 10.1.exe
    - ODBC driver - Oracle 10.2.exe
    - ODBC driver - Oracle 9.01.exe
    - ODBC driver - Oracle 9.02.exe
    No Instant Client odbc package downloaded yet, according to that list. Specially, Jdbc != Odbc.

Please download the instantclient-odbc-* package, efter deciding if application is 32-bit or 64-bit software.

But any of them contains install.exe or something like that !!!...
    That's correct! The Instant client installer is you, by directions you listed below. For the odbc package, you unzip and then run the odbc_install exe as elevated admin (from a cmd started with Run as administrator).
    I've found a doc on the web : " ... copy unzipped files into a folder ( ex.: C:\Oracle\InstantClient ) and add Environment Variables TNS_ADMIN and PATH ) ... "
    But while adding ODBC driver with Windows admin tools , only SQL Server is available !!!....
    Note : I work on Windows 7 64 bits
    On Win x64 you have two Odbc admin tools, one for "native" and one for 32-bit, WoW64. The latter one is found in systemroot\syswow64\odbcad32.exe (via this one you should have a longer list in Drivers tab, for Office apps, Foxpro etc.)
  • 3. Re: Instant client and ODBC driver - How to install it
    624869 Newbie
    Tridus wrote:
    Try installing the second download on this page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

That one has an installer and will set everything up for you.
    *64-bit ODAC 11.2 Release 5 (11.2.0.3.20) for Windows x64* installed succesfully.
    Now, Oracle driver appear in the list. Thks to you.
    I 've added a Oracle datasource and tested it in ODBC Microsoft GUI : I connected well to my database.

But when I launched my Windesign application, i get this message :
    Function : SQLDriverConnect
    Native error code : 0
    State : IM014
    [Microsoft][ODBC manager] Architecture uncompatibility between Driver and Application for the specified datasource (DSN)

PS : I'm not english fluent ... and I did not undestand all responses. Sorry for that. I do my best.
  • 4. Re: Instant client and ODBC driver - How to install it
    orafad Oracle ACE
    >
    [Microsoft][ODBC manager] Architecture uncompatibility between Driver and Application for the specified datasource (DSN)

PS : I'm not english fluent ... and I did not undestand all responses. Sorry for that. I do my best.
    Read my response above. Install the 32-bit packages -- likely your application is 32-bit and needs a 32-bit DSN.

Then open %Systemroot%\syswow64\odbc32.exe to manage 32-bit DSNs.

Utilisez Google Translate pour lire les messages en anglais (désolé pour potentiellement pas si grande françaises ;-)).

Edited by: orafad on Dec 17, 2012 3:46 PM
  • 5. Re: Instant client and ODBC driver - How to install it
    624869 Newbie
    Sorry mistake from me while typing : ODBC and not JDBC.
    I'd right downloaded the ODBC driver ( instantclient-odbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip ).

"odbcad32.exe" : Just one question please :

--> When I execute Windows / Start / Admin tools / ODBC datasources, or Windows / Start / Run / odbcad32.exe, I get a window with 4 lines :
    - dBase Files
    - Excel Files
    - MAXIMO RE7 ( the Oracle line that I have added )
    - MA Access

--> When I use Windesign ( the soft I'd like to use ) it asks me for a connection and I get drivers windows with more lines ( Access, Paradox, Fox Pro, Oracle, etc ... )

Which of these is 32 bit and which is 64 bits ?

Please I you want to take a look to my respons to TRIDUS in this thread.
    Thks for your time.
  • 6. Re: Instant client and ODBC driver - How to install it
    Tridus Journeyer
    No worries. :)

orafad is correct, in this case you need the 32-bit version of Oracle for the application you're using. You can get that from this page, the one you want is the "Universal Installer" version (4 from the top): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/utilsoft-087491.html

Install that and get it set up just like the other one. When you're finished, open up the start menu and type this into the bar at the bottom: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe"

That's the 32-bit ODBC set up, and if you create your ODBC connection in there your application will see it.

Language barriers are tough, I tried to keep the instructions down to the basics. Good luck. :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points