This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 4:44 AM by EdStevens RSS

Unable to create Oracle-ODBC DSN under Windows 64 bit with REMOTE Oracle DB

980316 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am unable to create a DSN on my Windows XP 64 bit machine, I execute oradbac.exe from c:\windows\sysWOW64, after that

1) ODBC Data source Administrator dialog comes
2) I go to System DSN-> ADD button- Selects
3) Oracle in OraClient11g_home1->Finish
4) Oracle ODBC Driver Configuration dialog pops up

I enter my Datasource name,Description , TNS Service Name (What should I enter ? currently some JUNK characters are coming in the Combobox/droplist)

My Remote Database User name and password.

When I click Test connection I am getting error TNS : could not resolve the connect identifier specified

remember I am trying to connect to REMOTE database inside LAN.

I am also shocked I am not getting Port option where to add the server port

My server is Oracle 9i and on my remote machine I have Oracle 9i Client version and Oracle 11G client installed, I am able to coonnect to server using SQL Developer, but facing issue only while creating DSN.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Unable to create Oracle-ODBC DSN under Windows 64 bit with REMOTE Oracle DB
    sb92075 Guru
    977313 wrote:
    Hi,

I am unable to create a DSN on my Windows XP 64 bit machine, I execute oradbac.exe from c:\windows\sysWOW64, after that

I enter my Datasource name,Description , TNS Service Name (What should I enter ? currently some JUNK characters are coming in the Combobox/droplist)

When I click Test connection I am getting error TNS : could not resolve the connect identifier specified

My server is Oracle 9i and on my remote machine I have Oracle 9i Client version and Oracle 11G client installed, I am able to coonnect to server using SQL Developer, but facing issue only while creating DSN.

Thanks
    this is Windows configuration issue that has nothing to do with Oracle DB
  • 2. Re: Unable to create Oracle-ODBC DSN under Windows 64 bit with REMOTE Oracle DB
    EdStevens Guru
    977313 wrote:
    Hi,

What you enter for TNS SERVICE NAME is the name of an entry in your tnsnames.ora. I don't know why you are getting junk in the drop list. It should be showing a list of available entries from your tnsnames.ora. Perhaps it can't find tnsnames.ora.

for a full explanation of this error, see http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/

Why be shocked? It gets that information from the tnsnames file. You're reported error indicates it is not finding the specified entry in tnsnames.

Thanks
  • 3. Re: Unable to create Oracle-ODBC DSN under Windows 64 bit with REMOTE Oracle DB
    980316 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am trying to access Remote Oracle 9i server which is running on Win XP 32 bit.

I need to make DSN in remote/client machine which is on Win XP 64 Bit, I searched for tnsnames.ora result is no such file found in my machine.

Currently I have installed Oracle - InstanceClient 10.1 on my machine, do I need to install any other software too to get the tnsnames.ora file in my machine.

Thanks
  • 4. Re: Unable to create Oracle-ODBC DSN under Windows 64 bit with REMOTE Oracle DB
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    977313 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am trying to access Remote Oracle 9i server which is running on Win XP 32 bit.

I need to make DSN in remote/client machine which is on Win XP 64 Bit, I searched for tnsnames.ora result is no such file found in my machine.

Currently I have installed Oracle - InstanceClient 10.1 on my machine, do I need to install any other software too to get the tnsnames.ora file in my machine.

Thanks
    To connect to your database server you should install oracle client .
  • 5. Re: Unable to create Oracle-ODBC DSN under Windows 64 bit with REMOTE Oracle DB
    980316 Newbie
    I have installed 2 things 1st OracleInstanceClient and now I have also installed Oracle in OraClient11g_home1 but still getting Login Failed, ORA-12154 TNS could not resolve the connect Identifier Specified

ODBC Driver Manager Drivers SQLSetConnectAttr failed.
  • 6. Re: Unable to create Oracle-ODBC DSN under Windows 64 bit with REMOTE Oracle DB
    EdStevens Guru
    977313 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    First, you need to install the Oracle runtime client. And you need to do it as a 'custom' install, wherein you select to at the ODBC driver (which does not install by default).
    Then you need to configure your tnsnames.ora file. You will probably have to create it.
    then you need to check a basic connection with sqlplus. If that doesn't work, fix it. There's no point in moving forward until you get that working.
    Once you can connect with sqlplus, you can configure your ODBC DSN.

ODBC sits on top of the Oracle client installation, not as a replacement for it.

I don't know if it can be made to work with the instant client or not. I've used the instant client a little, and I've used odbc more than I care. But I've never used them together.

You might want to read here to get a better overview of how oracle network connections fit together: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/

Edited by: EdStevens on Dec 18, 2012 6:44 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points