This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 3:03 PM by Jimbo RSS

Is there a GUI in OEL ?

Jimbo Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed OEL 6-2 and I get the root login on a standard terminal window. Is there any GUI interface in OEL that can be run on the server itself ?

thanks,
Jim
  • 1. Re: Is there a GUI in OEL ?
    Dude! Guru
    Same answer as Oracle-Linux-Doubts
  • 2. Re: Is there a GUI in OEL ?
    Avi Miller Guru
    Jimbo wrote:
    I have installed OEL 6-2 and I get the root login on a standard terminal window. Is there any GUI interface in OEL that can be run on the server itself ?
    A UI is not installed by default on OL6, nor should you need one.
  • 3. Re: Is there a GUI in OEL ?
    Jimbo Explorer
    thanks - in regards to a GUI, what's the situation if you go to install say 11g Database - will the Oracle Installer be able to launch in effect an X Server ?.

Alternatively is it as in Dude's response - in that Basic Server install of Oracle Linux does by default not include X Windows, so you need to include it ( not sure if X Server needs X Windows - I don't think it does since really they are 2 separate things )
  • 4. Re: Is there a GUI in OEL ?
    Avi Miller Guru
    Jimbo wrote:
    thanks - in regards to a GUI, what's the situation if you go to install say 11g Database - will the Oracle Installer be able to launch in effect an X Server ?.
    You can use a remote X Server or VNC session to run the OUI. You don't need to run it locally.
  • 5. Re: Is there a GUI in OEL ?
    Jimbo Explorer
    I presume of course that I would firstly need to install VNC on the server side ( I am guessing it is not part of a standard install footprint for Linux ) ?

By the same measure I am guessing the XLib's to enable an X Server to be launched remotely are included as part of a standard install footprint for the Linux server ?

thanks,
    Jim
  • 6. Re: Is there a GUI in OEL ?
    Avi Miller Guru
    Jimbo wrote:
    I presume of course that I would firstly need to install VNC on the server side ( I am guessing it is not part of a standard install footprint for Linux ) ?
     # yum install tigervnc-server xterm xorg-x11-twm 
    This will install a VNC server, Xterm and the Tiny Window Manager, just enough for the VNC server to launch Xterm and display the OUI and its various dialog boxes.
    By the same measure I am guessing the XLib's to enable an X Server to be launched remotely are included as part of a standard install footprint for the Linux server ?
     # yum install oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
    That will install all the required dependencies for Oracle Database, including all the X libraries that are required.
  • 7. Re: Is there a GUI in OEL ?
    Jimbo Explorer
    Avi, thanks for all your help - Jim

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points