1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 6:44 AM by viksjp RSS

Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database

viksjp
      Hi - We have Form6i (CHAR) installed on AIX 5.3 and database in oracle 10gR1. When tried connecting to ORACLE DATABASE from oracle 10gR1 path it is connecting to database, but when connecting from the forms SQLPLUS it is giving error TNS-12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter.

Please let me know if you the steps to resolve the issue/ if anyone faced similar issue and has solution please let me know.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      /u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/network/admin [rdmpoc]>tnsping rdmpoc

TNS Ping Utility for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on 18-DEC-12 15:33:25

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=xx.xx.xx.xx)(PORT=1521))
      TNS-12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter
      /u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/network/admin [rdmpoc]>
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
      Vikram.

Edited by: viksjp on 19-Dec-2012 01:57
        • 1. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
          KhaledFarouk
          Hello: Vikram.

try to copy and replace the tnsnames.ora file from the database directory to the forms6i directory.

that may work.

* don't forget to get backup form the file before replace

Respectfully
          Khaled Farouk
          • 2. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
            viksjp
            When i tried to stop the listner, following error is shown:

/u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/network/admin [rdmpoc]>lsnrctl

LSNRCTL for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on 19-DEC-12 13:42:44

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Welcome to LSNRCTL, type "help" for information.

LSNRCTL> stop
            Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=<oracle_sid>))
            TNS-12532: TNS:invalid argument
            TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
            TNS-00502: Invalid argument

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=PNPKEY))
            TNS-12224: TNS:no listener
            TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
            TNS-00511: No listener
            IBM/AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 2: No such file or directory
            Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=uxlprdmpoc)(Port=1521))
            TNS-12222: TNS:no such protocol adapter
            TNS-12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter
            TNS-00508: No such protocol adapter

LSNRCTL> exit
            • 3. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
              viksjp
              Hi Khaled - Thanks for the details, I tried the option but still the same issue. I tried to start the listner from FORMS path, is that correct?

Regards,
              Vikram.
              • 4. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                yoonas
                Hi,

I guess your listner is running from database home, so you can go to your database home and set enviroment variables(oraenv) and try stopping the listner.

please post the output of lsnrctl status command

post your forms tnsnames.ora content

try connecting to database from another machine and see whats happening

Regards
                Yoonas
                • 5. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                  KhaledFarouk
                  Hello

could you please post your current tnsnames.ora data from the database and the forms .
                  • 6. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                    viksjp
                    Hi Yoonas - Thanks, yes, as per your update my listner was in oracle path. So, i was having issue when tried to start from FORMS path.

tnsnames.ora file is same in both DB and FORMS path

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/10.1.0.2/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

RDMPOC =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.16.38.10)(PORT = 1521))
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                    (SERVICE_NAME = RDMPOC)
                    )
                    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS_LIST =
                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
                    )
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SID = PLSExtProc)
                    (PRESENTATION = RO)
                    )
                    )

I can start the listner, but still i'm facing issue in connecting to DB from forms.

Regards,
                    Vikram.
                    • 7. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                      yoonas
                      Hi,

Please post the output of "lsnrctl status"

Regards
                      Yoonas

Edited by: yoonus on Dec 20, 2012 9:43 AM
                      • 8. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                        viksjp
                        Hi Yoonus - OAS admis is reinstalling Forms. i will post it tomorrow.

Regards,
                        Vikram.

Edited by: viksjp on 24-Dec-2012 07:00
                        • 9. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                          viksjp
                          Hi - Please find the lsnrctl status output from ORACLE DB path and FORMS path

ORACLE DB:

batch:/u01/app/rdm/bin # lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on 02-JAN-2013 10:59:19

Copyright (c) 1991, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
                          STATUS of the LISTENER
                          ------------------------
                          Alias LISTENER
                          Version TNSLSNR for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
                          Start Date 12-NOV-2012 09:15:57
                          Uptime 51 days 1 hr. 43 min. 22 sec
                          Trace Level off
                          Security ON: Local OS Authentication
                          SNMP ON
                          Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0.2/network/admin/listener.ora
                          Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0.2/network/log/listener.log
                          Listening Endpoints Summary...
                          (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
                          (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=uxlprdmpoc.whsmith.co.uk)(PORT=1521)))
                          Services Summary...
                          Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                          Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                          Service "RDMPOC" has 1 instance(s).
                          Instance "RDMPOC", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                          Service "trmsppt" has 1 instance(s).
                          Instance "trmsppt", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                          The command completed successfully
                          uxlprdmpoc batch:/u01/app/rdm/bin #

FORMS PATH:

/u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on 02-JAN-13 11:00:45

TNS-01150: The address of the specified listener name is incorrect
                          NL-00305: the specified path name does not exist
                          /u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>

Regards,
                          Vikram.
                          • 10. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                            yoonas
                            Please start sqlplus from database home and connect
                            sqlplus user/password@RDMPOC

now start sqlplus from forms home

sqlplus user/password@RDMPOC

can you ping to 10.16.38.10

ping uxlprdmpoc.whsmith.co.uk

contents of sqlnet.ora

Pleas post the out of above

Edited by: yoonus on Jan 2, 2013 4:22 AM
                            • 11. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                              viksjp
                              Hi Yoonus - Please find the details:

Connecting DB through SQLPLUS from database home works fine:

batch:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0.2 # sqlplus par3214/par3214@rdmpoc

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Wed Jan 2 13:00:45 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
                              Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
                              With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL>

Connecting DB through SQLPLUS from Forms home throws following error:

/u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on Wed Jan 2 12:59:16 2013

Enter user-name: ^C/u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>
                              /u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>sqlplus par3214/par3214@rdmpoc

SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on Wed Jan 2 12:59:22 2013

ERROR:
                              ORA-12222: TNS:no such protocol adapter

--------------
                              PING is working
                              --------------
                              Enter user-name: ^C/u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>ping uxlprdmpoc.whsmith.co.uk
                              PING uxlprdmpoc.whsmith.co.uk (10.16.38.10): 56 data bytes
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              --- uxlprdmpoc.whsmith.co.uk ping statistics ---
                              6 packets transmitted, 6 packets received, 0% packet loss
                              round-trip min/avg/max = 0/0/0 ms

/u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>ping 10.16.38.10
                              PING 10.16.38.10 (10.16.38.10): 56 data bytes
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0 ms

64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              64 bytes from 10.16.38.10: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=0 ms
                              --- 10.16.38.10 ping statistics ---
                              6 packets transmitted, 6 packets received, 0% packet loss
                              round-trip min/avg/max = 0/0/0 ms
                              /u01/app/oracle/product/ODS6i/bin [rdmpoc]>

Sqlnet.ora contents (This file was present only in DATABASE home network admin path)

cat sqlnet.ora
                              # sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/10.1.0.2/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
                              # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

Thanks,
                              Vikram.
                              • 12. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                                yoonas
                                can you just post form tnsnames as well, sorry i forgot that in previous post

can you open a new terminal and try forms sqlplus (without setting any environment variables for database home)

Edited by: yoonus on Jan 2, 2013 5:38 AM

Edited by: yoonus on Jan 2, 2013 5:40 AM
                                • 13. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                                  viksjp
                                  Hi - Forms 6.0.8.8.3 version installed on AIX5.3. Please confirm if this version works on AIX 5.3. Please confirm do we need to apply patch to this version to get FORMs 6 working.

Regards,
                                  Vikram.
                                  • 14. Re: Form6i (CHAR) is not connecting to ORacle 10g database
                                    viksjp
                                    Hi Yoonus - Please find the tnsnames.ora file.

RDMPOC =
                                    (DESCRIPTION =
                                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.16.38.10)(PORT = 1521))
                                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                                    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                                    (SERVICE_NAME = RDMPOC)
                                    )
                                    )

Regards,
                                    Vikram,
                                    1 2 Previous Next