This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 3:37 PM by Dude! RSS

How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3

GlennD. Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I have installed Oracle linux 6.3 default settings on x86_64 bit pc
I have some questions:
1. What public yum repositories contain the oracle linux 6.3 kernel source code ?
2. Is the oracle linux 6.3 kernel source code on OracleLinux-R6-U3-src-dvd1.iso or OracleLinux-R6-U3-src-dvd2.iso , can I use this to recompile a new kernel ?
3. Do you have the steps/commands needed to set options and compile a installable kernel[rpm] on oracle linux 6.3 x86_64.
4. What gui tools are available in the desktop to manage settings e.g sound/volume or to install additional gui utilities.
5. Is there some documentation help on using the oracle linux desktop ?. If so where is it located .

Thankyou
Glenn
  • 1. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    Since there are specific Linux distributions focusing on various computing aspects for the last decade, building your own Linux kernel is not supported and also not necessary. Building your own kernel typically cancels your vendor support options. Why would you want to build your own kernel?

Since RHEL 6, the Desktop GUI for enterprise server installations has been abandoned. Considering the new dumbed down GUI systems with full screen support for small displays, one might think that it could be more suitable for a server system than before. However, development of Desktop GUI software today means to support special video GPU's that are not typically found in enterprise grade hardware.

You can still install a graphical desktop interface during or after the Oracle Linux 6 installation. There are already similar posts in this forum. For instance, Re: Want to install Oracle Linux Rel.6 and have a graphical interface
  • 2. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    Avi Miller Guru
    Glenn D. wrote:
    1. What public yum repositories contain the oracle linux 6.3 kernel source code ?
    None of them. The Oracle Linux kernel source code can be found here:

https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/SRPMS/
    https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/SRPMS-updates/

And our git repositories are here:

https://oss.oracle.com/git/

The default kernel in OL6.3 is here:

https://oss.oracle.com/git/?p=linux-uek-2.6.39.git;a=summary
    2. Is the oracle linux 6.3 kernel source code on OracleLinux-R6-U3-src-dvd1.iso or OracleLinux-R6-U3-src-dvd2.iso , can I use this to recompile a new kernel ?
    Actually, I have no idea which DVD the source code is on.
    3. Do you have the steps/commands needed to set options and compile a installable kernel[rpm] on oracle linux 6.3 x86_64.
    No, you'd need to decide that for yourself. The kernel source is complex and can be very tricky to recompile.
    4. What gui tools are available in the desktop to manage settings e.g sound/volume or to install additional gui utilities.
    Wow, topic shift. GNOME Control Center manages settings and installing new utilities is done by Pirut.
    5. Is there some documentation help on using the oracle linux desktop ?. If so where is it located .
    Oracle Linux isn't intended to be used as a desktop. All the documentation is here:

https://linux.oracle.com/documentation/
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/index.html
  • 3. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Glenn, why do you want to compile a kernel? I did that last back in the early 90's (using Slackware at the time). And even then, one had a number of config pages to select what features and h/w the kernel had to support. And I usually did that before going to bed as a kernel build on a 386 took a number of hours.

H/w and kernel technology have since become significantly more complex. And there are Linux pre-built kernels available for h/w ranging from netbooks to servers. Why build a custom one?

What I have done and still are doing, is building kernel drivers and additional functionality. For example OL does not come with rlwrap - a critical tool for me that is a command line SQL*Plus junkie. So I need to download the source, install the readline devlib rpm, make sure gnu c compiler has already been installed and do a configure, make and make install. Or downloading the latest OFED source code and rebuilding a newly minted set of Infiniband kernel drivers (something we did a lot back in RHEL4).

And that is the extent that one should be "building" stuff on Linux in my opinion. I have used Linux since pre-kernel 1.0 (entire Linux was on 2 stiffies back then). But I would be very hard pressed to build my own custom kernel today. I see no reason for that.
  • 4. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    Perhaps the OP thought that enabling the Desktop GUI under Oracle Linux 6 requires to rebuild the Linux kernel, considering the context of the questions asked.
  • 5. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    But why a kernel build?

It needs
    a) video driver (perhaps a driver source code download and manual kernel driver build)
    b) installing KDE/Gnome RPMs (available on public yum?)

A kernel change is not needed for this, right? You simply need the kernel source headers typically for a build of a kernel driver (like a video driver). Not the entire kernel source tree.
  • 6. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    I agree. Building a custom kernel makes sense for computer vendors and Oracle Linux to support a specific set of hardware and software, in particular since Red Hat apparently undercuts Oracle with hidden kernel patches:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

... but from a end-user perspective, the introduction of loadable kernel modules made rebuilding the base kernel pretty much unnecessary.

Btw, to find out the configuration and what built-in modules a kernel contains, one can simply check the contents of the following file:

/boot/config-<version>

I remember building the Linux kernel in Slackware and later Red Hat in the mid 90's on a Pentium 60. I also remember that I lost interest in Linux when Red Hat went commercial - there were certainly better alternatives for business solutions back then. I rediscovered Linux thanks to the free Oracle Linux.

Edited by: Dude on Dec 20, 2012 6:06 AM
  • 7. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    Avi Miller Guru
    Dude wrote:
    I agree. Building a custom kernel makes sense for computer vendors and Oracle Linux to support a specific set of hardware and software, in particular since Red Hat apparently undercuts Oracle with hidden kernel patches:
    And even that isn't terribly successful: https://blogs.oracle.com/ksplice/entry/introducing_redpatch
  • 8. Re: How do you recompile the kernel for oracle linux 6.3
    Dude! Guru
    I wonder if RH already regrets their statement and silly move. When I read it the first time I thought: how stupid - well done. On a second thought, I have no knowledge what went on, or if there were negotiations. Anyway, from a business perspective, I think RH was childish. I have no doubt that Linux is going to survive the demise of the mainframe platform and will be recognized as the best OS for running Oracle Database, if not already. I wonder why RH did not rather use the Oracle momentum to promote its software and have Oracle as a business alliance or partner, rather than competitor. But everything can happen.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points