2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 11:55 AM by speedbump49 RSS

Oracle VIrtualization Concepts

jstem1177
      Hello All,

I'm completely new to virtualization and coming from database background I would like to wrap my mind around the concepts of server pools, vm servers and vm guests.

Could anybody recommend a link that addresses some of the basic concepts, what exactly does a server pool mean, what is a vm server vs a virtual machine.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Jan S.
        • 1. Re: Oracle VIrtualization Concepts
          user12273962
          1. (Server Pools) is a shared storage area used to maintain information necessary for HA and live migration of hosts. It is an area that must be shared with every host in the "pool" of servers. It uses a ocfs2 shared filesystem. It can be run over NFS and works very well on NFS. Very low iops necessary to maintain the information. You can also use FC and ISCSI LUNS. The key is it must be a shared location.

You do NOT need a server pool to run Oracle VM. You can create non clustered pool. Then the "pool" is really only a definition for the VM Manager to use in organizing resources. If you want to do live migration, or HA... then you must use a clustered server pool.

2. (VM Server) this is the server that runs the "VM Guests". In other words, there is base software installed (Oracle VM Server) on a physical server. That server then in turn can run multiple OS. These "muitlple instances" are called VM guests or virtual machines.

3. (VM Manager) this is a application that runs with a weblogic application server.... used to manage your virtual environment. You must use this. Oracle VM server is not a stand alone product. It must be paired with the VM Manager.
          • 2. Re: Oracle VIrtualization Concepts
            speedbump49
            The first two chapters of the Oracle VM User guide should get you through all the VM concepts.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27309/html/index.html

Edited by: speedbump49 on Dec 21, 2012 9:55 AM