This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 10:25 AM by rukbat RSS

Installing repository packages offline

977625 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am working on a Solaris 10 system not connected to Internet. Is there any means to download packages along with their dependencies to some other system connected to Internet and then install downloaded packages offline?
  • 1. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    cindys Pro
    Hi Sherlock,

Are you just adding pkgs and not installing systems from scratch?

Either way, you could download the media from the system that is connected to the Internet
    and then make the pkgs available by sharing them over NFS. Then, the other system could
    add them.

If you are talking about 2 separate systems (one where the media is located) and one that
    needs to have pkgs installed, then those two systems would need a network between them.

Is this what you want?

Thanks, Cindy
  • 2. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    977625 Newbie
    cindys wrote:
    Hi Sherlock,

Are you just adding pkgs and not installing systems from scratch?

Either way, you could download the media from the system that is connected to the Internet
    and then make the pkgs available by sharing them over NFS. Then, the other system could
    add them.

If you are talking about 2 separate systems (one where the media is located) and one that
    needs to have pkgs installed, then those two systems would need a network between them.

Is this what you want?

Thanks, Cindy
    Yes, I am just adding packages, the system was pre-installed. My question is, how can I have the packages downloaded to an Internet system (this is not a Solaris system) and carry the packages to my Solaris system to install those offline?
  • 3. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    977625 Newbie
    For Ubuntu, many such options are there.
    [http://askubuntu.com/questions/974/how-can-i-install-software-or-packages-without-internet-offline|http://askubuntu.com/questions/974/how-can-i-install-software-or-packages-without-internet-offline]
  • 4. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    Alan_S Explorer
    Solaris 10 SVR4 packages are not directly installable from a repository (that's a feature of Solaris 11). As Cindy indicated, you can just run "pkgadd -d /path/to/packages" in order to install them. "/path/to/packages" may be through NFS, CD or DVD, flash drive or simply on a local disk.

-- Alan
  • 5. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    977625 Newbie
    Alan_Solaris_RE wrote:
    Solaris 10 SVR4 packages are not directly installable from a repository (that's a feature of Solaris 11). As Cindy indicated, you can just run "pkgadd -d /path/to/packages" in order to install them. "/path/to/packages" may be through NFS, CD or DVD, flash drive or simply on a local disk.

-- Alan
    I am new to Solaris 10. Like Ubuntu or Fedora or any other standard Linux distro, is there any concept of official repository in Solaris 10? If so, can pkgadd be used to download packages from repository?
  • 6. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    ... Like Ubuntu or Fedora or any other standard Linux distro,
    Solaris isn't Linux. Never was, never will be.
    You may need to sit back and do a bit of research about it before proceeding with any use of it.

Start here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_%28operating_system%29
  • 7. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    Alan_S Explorer
    Holmes.Sherlock wrote:

I am new to Solaris 10. Like Ubuntu or Fedora or any other standard Linux distro, is there any concept of official repository in Solaris 10? If so, can pkgadd be used to download packages from repository?
    There is no concept of any sort of repository on Solaris 10. You can download the entire OS on a DVD for installation, and unbundled products can be downloaded and installed from files. You would need to install Solaris 11 in order to use repositories for installation of software packages. The packaging and distribution mechanism was completely redesigned.

-- alan
  • 8. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    cindys Pro
    Alan explained that Solaris 10 doesn't use a pkg repository but you can create a pkg server
    to serve pkgs or a JumpStart server to install systems.

I never download images because we have internal pkg servers so I don't do these steps,
    but they should give you some ideas, The biggest factor is the system that is connected to
    the Internet. Does it have a DVD burner? Is it a UNIX system? I hope so.

1. Download the sol-10-u10-ga2-sparc-dvd.iso image and either burn it to a DVD or save
    it as a file.

2. You can make the DVD contents available over NFS or you can lofi mount the ISO file
    and make it available over NFS.

3. When the pkg location is available over NFS, then you can point the pkg add command
    to that path, like this:

# pkgadd -d /net/cyberman/export/s10u10/combined.s10s_u10wos/17b/Solaris_10/Product SUNWman

Thanks, Cindy
  • 9. Re: Installing repository packages offline
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    @ Cindy,
    You happened to have replied to me.
    I'm aware of all that you mentioned.

It's the original poster that needs the guidance.

... now, as a completely unrelated "by-the-way" ...

Cindy,
    Consider typing your forum replies as a continuous stream of text instead of using the `Enter` key in your edit window. These forums auto-size for the screen size of whoever is reading them and your posts can sometimes become visually distracting when you pointedly place line breaks into your contributions.

This was something I recognize a few years ago on my own forum entries and ever since have just typed and typed (though I choose to separate my paragraphs by a skip-a-line).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points