This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2012 11:21 PM by LaserSoft RSS

Where did all the partitions and subpartitions go?

amin_adatia Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I created a table with partition Range (Transaction_Date, Retention_Period) and hash (Record_Id) subpartition template (for 32 subpartitions)

Then I add more partitions and while the loop is going on I can get counts of partitions and subpartitions. The job finished and my log table shows about 1800 partitions added and there should be 32 subpartitions for each of the partitions. However, user_tab_partitions shows zero records for the table, and user_tab_subpartitions also show zero record. After a few minutes the partitions show up but no subpartitions. The indexes on the table have also disappeared (one local and one global)

Any explanation for this behaviour?
  • 1. Re: Where did all the partitions and subpartitions go?
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    Can you explain why this was posted in the Exadata forum and how any of it relates to Exadata-specific hardware or software?

Then please provide your full version number, your DDL, and the SQL used to determine the results you are reporting.

If your question is not specific to Exadata please lock this thread and create a new thread in the appropriate forum. Thank you.
  • 2. Re: Where did all the partitions and subpartitions go?
    amin_adatia Newbie
    Well, it was posted on Exadata because I am working on Exadata trying to migrate data from 10gR2 on AIX. I did not realize Exadata does not have any simple DDL problems. Thank you Mr ACE.

11.2.0.3.0 64 bit with Patritioning, RAC, ASM, OLS, OLAP, DM, RAT options.

Will this solve my question?
  • 3. Re: Where did all the partitions and subpartitions go?
    Klaas-Jan Jongsma Newbie
    Amin,

I think you have more luck getting your question answered in the 'regular' database forum. Oracle database version on Exadata is not different then any other 64bits Oracle RBMS for linux installation. The point that Dan is trying to make is that forum is for Exadata specific features and questions (e.g. smartscans, infinband, cellservers etc.).
  • 4. Re: Where did all the partitions and subpartitions go?
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi Friend,

Good Query.

Exadata is still Oracle Exactly !

But It is not an ordinary storage, it is storage developed for the Oracle database. Heavy lifting data-intensive work at the storage layer rather than Database layer.

Exadata uses column projections and row filtering as part of its intelligent processing to reduce the amount if information returned for processing

It also returns just the information needed, rather than simply blocks of data, to the processing Nodes.

Hope it helps....

Thanks
    LaserSoft

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points