8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 6:42 PM by webmonkeymagic RSS

processing workflow reject on first step

sgcmnk
      Hi all,

May i know how to process reject code when workflow reject happens on the very first step.

I understood that if happens on the second step, we should process the reject code on the entry event of the first step, but may i know how it happens on the first step?

thanks
        • 1. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          If you mean criteria workflows, then each criteria workflow contains the auto-contribution step which is the factual first step (not the first step you see in the workflow applet). This step cannot be configured and by definition only the content author is contributor for this step. Also, this step does not contain an option to reject the item.
          • 2. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
            ryan sullivan2
            Here's a good blog article on that topic:

http://webmonkeymagic.blogspot.com/2011/05/avoiding-workflow-contribution-step.html

It also includes some parameters which you can use to do some additional research.

Let us know if that helps out!

-ryan
            • 3. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
              sgcmnk
              Hi all,

may i know is it possible to jump a rejected workflow to a previous review step instead of review/edit step?

also, may i know is it possible to create a review/edit step with zero reviewers?

thanks
              • 4. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
                sgcmnk
                Hi all,

My requirement: i have two steps namely reviewer and approver

Both reviewers and approvers --> have only review permission and the content will be edited only by the contributor

If the content gets approved/rejected at these steps, i need to call a wsdl

If the content is approved, i m able to call the wsdl, if rejected i understood that none of the statements on update cycle will get executed

Found that, if content is rejected then we need to process the code on the previous review/edit step, hence may i know how to fulfill my requirement?

Thanks
                S. Muthukumaran
                • 5. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
                  Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
                  Review/Edit Revision, or Review/New Revision types of workflow steps provides an option, but not necessity to modify the content (the current, or a new revision). Therefore, yes, it is possible to have a Review/Edit Revision step with zero reviewers. It will forward processing the next step (note that you could define Entry, Update, or Exit event scripts for this step, so a "zero reviewers" step can serve as a fork).

On the other hand, it is not possible to jump to a Review step after rejection. From whatever reason it follows the design that rejection expects the content item to be changed, which cannot be done in a Review step. Another (IMHO illogical) design aspect of REJECT is that it does not execute the Exit event.

Having asked the first question, yes, you could place an arbitrary zero reviewers Review/Edit Revision step in front of a Review step to achieve that REJECT returns to the Review step (it will return the the Review/Edit Revision, but follow immediately to Review).
                  • 6. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
                    sgcmnk
                    hi all,

i am unable to create a review/edit (or) review/new with zero reviewers, the workflow applet is not accepting.

error: stepx must have atleast one reivewer, please modify the step

May i know how to create a review/edit (or) review/new step with zero reviewers

thanks
                    • 7. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
                      Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
                      It requires a trick.

You can create an empty user group or a token which will assign no users. Alternatively, you can also assign a system reviewer (such as weblogic or sysadmin) and define the exit condition to 'At least 0'.
                      • 8. Re: processing workflow reject on first step
                        webmonkeymagic
                        if something is rejected, then by definition it needs to be modified before it can be approved. This is why the rejection goes back to the previous edit step and not a review step.
                        You can trick the system with empty tokens etc but that's a poorly designed process.