1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 10:43 AM by EdStevens RSS

How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials

Hulk
      Hi,

I am having SYS credentials. But I want to know SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials.

How can I check in Database to get them?

DB:11g.

I am trying to connect using windows GUI it is asking for anyone of those SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
        • 1. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          SYSDBA and SYSOPER are privileges, not accounts.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25789/startup.htm#CNCPT1289

Pl post OS and database versions and what you are trying to achieve

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
            Hulk
            Os verions :windows 2008 SP2
            DB:11gr2

I am trying to connect the Anydocs when scanned a row should create in the corresponding database.

I want to know is it possible to set the sys as sysdba privilages by default so I neednot give
            conn sys/xxx@SID as sysdba each time just conn sys/xxx@SID so I can connect as sysdba
            • 3. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
              sb92075
              Hulk wrote:
              Os verions :windows 2008 SP2
              DB:11gr2

I am trying to connect the Anydocs when scanned a row should create in the corresponding database.

I want to know is it possible to set the sys as sysdba privilages by default so I neednot give
              conn sys/xxx@SID as sysdba each time just conn sys/xxx@SID so I can connect as sysdba
              You should NOT be using "as sysdba" for normal Production use!
              • 4. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                As noted, you should not be using SYS or SYSTEM or any elevated privileges (SYSDBA, SYSOPER) for normal day-to-day application activities.

Pl elaborate on why you need to do so.

HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                  Dude!
                  You can login using "sqlplus / as sysdba" provided your user account on the operating system belongs to the appropriate SYSDBA operating system group, and you have set the Oracle database system environment variables. When you login using "as sysdba", you can actually specify any username or password because it will not be used. SYSDBA connections are always connecting to the SYS database schema.
                  • 6. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                    EdStevens
                    Hulk wrote:
                    Hi,

I am trying to connect using windows GUI it is asking for anyone of those SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                    My gut reaction is if you don't already know how to get them, then you shouldn't have them.

Why do you think you need them?
                    • 7. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                      Aman....
                      Hulk wrote:
                      Hi,

Sys is an account and if you know it's credentials, it means , for us, that you know the password for this account. If you do know than you should be knowing this too that Sysdba, Sysoper are not accounts but are privileges. And if you don't know all this, probably you shouldn't be really trying to get in as Sys in the first place.

Aman....
                      • 8. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                        DavidPaul
                        Hi,

Sys is an account, it's possible you know its credentials. However, SYSDBA and SYSOPER are privileges not account to a special instance. Every instance has SYSDBA and SYSOPER privileges.

Normal
                        SYSDBA
                        SYSOPER

These are three basic privileges for each oracle instance.
                        For example, you can use the following way to connect to ORCL(instance):
                        conn scott/tiger@orcl; --(default is normal);
                        conn username/password@orcl as sysdba;--SYSDBA;
                        conn username/password@orcl as SYSOPER; --SYSOPER

I think you are perhaps confused to the concept.

In case you have any doubt, please let me know.

Thanks,
                        David

Edited by: David Paul on Dec 24, 2012 6:50 AM
                        • 9. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                          Hulk
                          I have newly set up my Oracle 11g Database under 'administrator' account in new Windows2008 Server.

From my oracle batch jobs I am trying to connect DB as shown: SQLPLUS /@%DBName%

as this line it is throwing logon denied - error message.

----------------
                          My Old DB is 8i and Server is WindowsNT ,user account ='zadministrator'.

Why was it throwing error?
                          • 10. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                            EdStevens
                            Hulk wrote:
                            I have newly set up my Oracle 11g Database under 'administrator' account in new Windows2008 Server.

From my oracle batch jobs I am trying to connect DB as shown: SQLPLUS /@%DBName%

as this line it is throwing logon denied - error message.

----------------
                            My Old DB is 8i and Server is WindowsNT ,user account ='zadministrator'.

Why was it throwing error?
                            Unfortuntately you did not show us the actual error message. Instead you chose to give us your interpretation of it. "logon denied" could be a lot of things. An actual error message, including the ora-nnnn number will tell us what it is.
                            And you didn't tell us if you tried this connection from the database server or a client machine.

Copy and paste from a command session is a wonderful thing, but only if you use it.
                            • 11. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                              Hulk
                              ora-01017: invalid username\password ; logon denied
                              • 12. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                                EdStevens
                                Hulk wrote:
                                ora-01017: invalid username\password ; logon denied
                                Oracle doesn't lie. you gave it an invalid username or password.

Once again, a copy and paste of the entire command session -- complete command issued and complete response -- would make assisting you much easier.
                                • 13. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                                  Hulk
                                  I want to know one thing. In this,SQLPLUS /@%DBNAME% -What credentials (username and password) does oracle takes to logon Oracle DB.
                                  • 14. Re: How to get SYSDBA or SYSOPER credentials
                                    sb92075
                                    Hulk wrote:
                                    I want to know one thing. In this,SQLPLUS /@%DBNAME% -What credentials (username and password) does oracle takes to logon Oracle DB.
                                    it depends

How do I ask a question on the forums?
                                    SQL and PL/SQL FAQ
                                    1 2 Previous Next