This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 6:42 AM by hyperionEPM RSS

Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager

hyperionEPM Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Gurus,

Recently performed an upgrade from 11.1.1.3 to 11.1.2.2 by replicating the Database to a new database machine.

I had Business rules in 11.1.1.3 and did not perform any steps to migrate the rules to Calculation manager in 11.1.2.2

The doubt I have is,
1. Are the business rules automatically upgraded when performing upgrade by EPM system configurator (since the database is replicated)
2. If so, how do I see the business rules in 11.1.2.2 environment? How can I use migrate feature option.

Thanks
HyperionEPM.
  • 1. Re: Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager
    Sree Menon Explorer
    Have you gone through the migrate steps documented in the 11.1.2.2? You would need to apply the latest calc manager and planning patch on top of the 11.1.2.2 RTM code base as we had rectified some issues with the migration.

Are you in oracle? If so please look me up.
    Srekumar Menon.
  • 2. Re: Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager
    hyperionEPM Journeyer
    Hello,

Here is what I have tried -

1. Upgraded the EPM system by performing configuration in upgrade mode.
    2. Upgraded the database connection information for the data source.
    3. Upgraded the Planning applications using the Upgrade Wizard.

I can now see the Planning application in calculation manager. I right clicked on the application and selected the option Migrate..

After the Migrate was done successfully I am still unable to see the rules.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    HyperionEPM
  • 3. Re: Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager
    Sree Menon Explorer
    Click on Action/Migrate or Right Click on Application node and select migrate. Select the application and provide the default app and plan type and click ok.
    See if you are getting any rules back in to calc manager.
    Sree
  • 4. Re: Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager
    hyperionEPM Journeyer
    Hello Sree,

I believe I have already tried that as I have mentioned it above...but it still doesn't populate the rules..

One Question - Are the business rules stored in database, I mean in the data source for that application? and do we need to perform any steps on the 11.1.1.3 environment prior to doing the upgrade?

Thanks.
    HyperionEPM.
  • 5. Re: Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager
    Sree Menon Explorer
    From 11.1.2.2 documentation:

Upgrade Wizard
    If your application used Oracle Hyperion Business Rules, the Upgrade Wizard automatically converts Business Rules business rules to Oracle Hyperion Calculation Manager business rules. Release 11.1.2.2 supports onlyBusiness Rules business rules as the calculation module.

Notes:

•Classic application administration is now called Oracle Hyperion Planning application administration (versus Oracle Hyperion EPM Architect application administration).

•The Upgrade Wizard automatically upgrades applications having Oracle Hyperion Business Rules business rules, converting them to Calculation Manager business rules. However, the Upgrade Wizard does not automatically convert Release 11.1.2.1 applications having Oracle Hyperion Calculation Manager business rules. For those upgrade instructions, see the Oracle Enterprise Performance Management System Installation and Configuration Guide.

Business Rules Maintenance Release and Upgrade Installation PrerequisitesIf you are using Business Rules, you must migrate to Calculation Manager rules in Release 11.1.2.2. Before migrating business rules, you must perform prerequisite tasks. Note that these tasks are required if you are applying the maintenance release or if you are upgrading.

To prepare to migrate Business Rules, perform the following tasks in your current Business Rules environment before installing Release 11.1.2.2:

1.in Business Rules, within the Rule Editor, remove the associated outline (that is, the design time location) from each business rule. After you do this, the Associated Outline drop-down list should display the text, Select Outline.

2.On the Locations tab of the Rule Editor, ensure that each business rule has a valid launch location, which must be an absolute location. Although “All Locations” is valid in Business Rules, when you migrate business rules, you must provide the details of a specific launch location (that is, the application type---Planning or Essbase, the server name, the application name, and the database or plan type). If you want a business rule to be valid for multiple launch locations, you must provide the details for each location. The locations must be in different applications; you cannot migrate the same business rule to different plan types in the same application within Calculation Manager.

If the rule is a part of a sequence, then the launch location of the rule within the sequence must be one of the launch locations listed in the Locations tab of the rule.

3.On the Access Privileges tab of the Rule Editor, ensure that each business rule has security defined for a specific location or locations and not “All Locations.” If multiple locations are defined for a business rule on its Locations tab, you must add security for each location individually.

4.Do not modify rules in Calculation Manager until migration is completed.

5.If you are using Business Rules with Planning, as a precaution, create a backup of the rules: Use Administration Services to export the rules to XML in Business Rules format. If you are upgrading from 11.1.1.3 or 11.1.1.4, also export the rules to Calculation Manager format. EPM System Configurator exports the rules during database configuration for use during application upgrade.

6.If you are an Essbase-only Business Rules user, you must export business rules. To export the Essbase rule from Business Rules:

a.From Administration Services Console, right-click the Business Rules node and select Export.

b.Export the rules in Business Rules format and then select all of the Essbase rules in the repository. If you are upgrading from 11.1.1.3 or 11.1.1.4, also export the rules to Calculation Manager format.

c.Specify the location to save the XML file, and then click OK. If you are upgrading, the location should be a shared drive that is accessible from the upgraded environment.

Make a note of the location. You import the file later in the process.

Migrating Business Rules to Calculation Manager for use with Planning

If you applied the maintenance release to move from Planning Release 11.1.2.0 or 11.1.2.1 to Release 11.1.2.2, and you were using Business Rules rules, you must migrate the rules to Calculation Manager rules.
    Before you migrate, ensure that user directories and native users with the same SID are available when you upgrade Shared Services.

Ensure that the Planning applications are upgraded to the current release and are available in Calculation Manager under SYSTEM View.

To migrate Business Rules rules to Calculation Manager rules:

1.In Calculation Manager, select the migrated Planning application, and then select Migrate.

The data that was exported during database configuration with EPM System Configurator is imported to Calculation Manager.

2.Repeat for each Planning application.

3.Deploy the rules from Calculation Manager to Planning. See the Oracle Hyperion Calculation Manager Designer's Guide.

After migrating business rules and rules security, if any of the rules had multiple launch locations and you migrated to more than one location, Calculation Manager creates a rule for the first migration, and shortcuts for all subsequent migrations. If the rule had rule-level variables, for the shortcuts that are created in the application in the new environment , its variables are moved to the Plan level. In this scenario, test rules in your environment to ensure that they work as expected.

If you still have problems, raise an SR and we can get on a call to figure out why the rules are not coming over.
    -Sree
  • 6. Re: Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager
    Sree Menon Explorer
    The rules do exist in 2 places. One on the development side (Calc Manager) and the other on the target (Planning for example). Calc Manager rules are stored in a RDBMS and are maintained by Calc Manager. But once you deploy these to Planning, the rule defenition is stored in the planning's application datasource tables.
    -Sree
  • 7. Re: Upgrade Business rules with Calc Manager
    hyperionEPM Journeyer
    Are there any issues where in if the Business Rules had @ISUDA or @UDA function in them and now that they are migrated to Calculation manager?

http://s17.postimage.org/l1i0xmxpr/Descendants_Including.png

http://s7.postimage.org/uq92pk2bf/Member.png

Also the rule is unable to find *@Descendants_including* function which we had in Essbase 11.1.1.3 and also other Members as in the second link.

What should I do from here?

Thanks.
    hyperionEPM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points