This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 2:07 PM by jgarry RSS

Correct career path?

981324 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello everyone,

I just need some advices on which career path to chose. I'm just an IT graduate who's been working as a sales manager for retail shop.I think its time to move on to IT/business support field which i like. I have a basic knowledge on SQL and Oracle.I did IZO-051 and passed first time last week. But Im not sure if OCA is the right path to get a job.what about those business suite exams? I prefer a job which is related to business/sales as well. To be honest iIdont like programing.Can someone tell me which would the correct path of certificates to get a job please.Thank you all.

Edited by: 978321 on Dec 21, 2012 5:00 PM
  • 1. Re: Correct career path?
    sb92075 Guru
    978321 wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm just an IT graduate who's been working as a sales manager for retail shop.
    To be honest iIdont like programing.
    Why did you major in IT if you don't like programming?
    What in IT do you like?
  • 2. Re: Correct career path?
    981324 Newbie
    My degree is on IT with business information systems. Well,yes may be i was on the wrong path.Should have done something else. But i like Databases though. Like to get a job related to business+databases? ( sorry,if i sound stupid) Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Correct career path?
    Richard Harrison . Expert
    Hi,
    How about being a business analyst? They have to understand exactly what the business is doing and then act as the translator to IT to then build applications. No idea how you'd get started in that though.....

Cheers,
    Harry
  • 4. Re: Correct career path?
    981324 Newbie
    Hi Harry,Yeah thats a good idea. But getting there is kind of a problem. Im gonna finish OCA anyway. But been thinking about HCI side too. Loved those HCI subjects we had at the Uni.:) Thanks.
  • 5. Re: Correct career path?
    sb92075 Guru
    978321 wrote:
    Hi Harry,Yeah thats a good idea. But getting there is kind of a problem. Im gonna finish OCA anyway. But been thinking about HCI side too. Loved those HCI subjects we had at the Uni.:) Thanks.
    HCI? Please translate.
  • 6. Re: Correct career path?
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    You have more than One Field you have to Find yourself what you love what you like , if you want to keep your experience with sales You could work as Sales For IT products , Also Like Harry Said BA , QA Job doesn't need any programming Skills . I think If you goes deeply with HCI you will need Programming Skills
  • 7. Re: Correct career path?
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    Unfortunately, IMO, the most common way of getting into the promised land of DBA-dom is by being an Oracle developer first. That way you get a handle on how the database works and how it handles data. Other people jump from systems administration to DBA too (very useful because you really do need sysadmin knowledge to be a DBA).

Personally, I was a developer in college and on my internship. My boss at the internship thought I'd make a good DBA (the FOOL!) and so asked me to join him in opening a DBA consultancy. I didn't have to serve my usual 'apprenticeship' as either a developer or a system administrator.

Even today, I often tell developers 'don't expect me to be able to look at your code and debug it unless it's something obvious. You're better at it than I am and I'll just use my handy performance tools in the database to try and help you out'.

I got lucky, though. I don't suspect many people will make the leap from college graduate to junior DBA, especially in this economy. Every single company of any worth will want their DBA (even junior) to have some DBA experience before hiring them. I -suspect- that includes people with OCA/OCP, but having those qualifications won't harm your chances. In some roles, there is no substitute for real-world '3am, system is down' experience. A DBA is one of those roles.

You might find that once you get into things, your opinion on developing might change.

Good luck and I hope you find what works out for you.

Mark
  • 8. Re: Correct career path?
    Rob_J Journeyer
    Hello,

As the other guys have pointed out, it's difficult to get the experience when no one wants to hire someone without experience. Did you do a work placement year at university? If so, that's valuable experience if it's related to IT. You could use that to get a job in a related field. If not, no worries, you can find other ways....

Ideally you want to get a job working for a company where you are going to be able to move between positions relatively easily. For example, if you go and work for a small company where you work in the IT department make sure that they have all their IT staff in-house (not outsourced to other companies). In a small team of people with a decent IT infrastructure you should have exposure to many different areas (databases, networks, systems) which will then help you see what you like. It's common when you work in a small team that everyone works together and there is less of an distinction between the teams in terms of work.

It might not be the best paid position but the experience you gain will be valuable. You'll probably work very closely with the developers as well. Along a similar note, there are differences in the DBA role. Some roles are called [url http://www.ora00600.com/articles/development-and-production-oracle-dbas.html]Production DBA and others Developer DBAs.

Have a read through of these [url http://www.ora00600.com/articles/oracle-dba-article-list.html]Oracle DBA articles which should give you a little more information on the subject about [url http://www.ora00600.com/articles/what-does-an-oracledba-do.html]what an Oracle DBA does.

Good luck!
    Rob

P.S. I forgot to say that the qualifications are not the be-all and end-all. I've interviewed so many DBAs who have loads of qualifications but no real world experience so they are not that good. Without the actual experience the qualifications are almost meaningless in my opinion. Most reasonably intelligent people can go away and memorise the books to pass the qualifications without actually knowing that it all means. You need experience and qualifications for them to have meaning. I'm not saying that you don't know what you are doing, just that this should be a consideration :)

Edited by: Rob_J on Dec 28, 2012 9:38 AM
  • 9. Re: Correct career path?
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    This is an excellent reply. Rob's suggestion about working in a small IT team is a very good one - you can get your hands in just about anything when there's a small number of people responsible for all things IT!
  • 10. Re: Correct career path?
    jgarry Guru
    A small team isn't likely to have enough developers to justify a dba. The experience is indeed invaluable, unless you get stuck doing entirely crap pc support work, but it rarely leads to a dba position - administration is just one hat among many, so you wind up not getting enough specific experience, and the skills are skewed away from what they should be (for example, we see lots of posts here about how to recover a db, people are over their heads for the most basic #1 dba skill). Small teams need some crisis to justify an experienced dba, who will likely still do mostly development (and thus also needs some dev skill specific to the site). On the plus side, it can be a quick path to an IT manager position, and the accompanying ulcers and envy of developers.
  • 11. Re: Correct career path?
    Rob_J Journeyer
    You make a good point, jgarry. In truth, every company you go and work for is different. There are general benefits and disadvantages of going to work for small, big and medium sized companies. The points mentioned by everyone so far all hold true, and I'm guessing that most of them are based on the person's individual experiences.

Your best bet is to consider what everyone is saying and keep that in mind when you look for a job. Then, try to speak with people at the place you are going to be working at and at the interview stage to try and gauge exactly what options you will have when there.
  • 12. Re: Correct career path?
    jgarry Guru
    Some additional points: There are many more small companies than big ones. Whatever the size of the company, the personalities have to mesh. Sometimes it is easier to get away from a bad situation in a big company. It helps to get a mentor - more likely in a big company, but can be even better if you luck out in a small company. One has to notice some of the Aces are IT managers.

In the past I've recommended going for the big company first, since they often pay more and have more opportunities to rotate, and often an upward path. On the other hand, I've seen people come out of big companies into small/midsize companies, and be so used to covering their butt they do that to the exclusion of everything else.

As far as speaking to people in a potential workplace, that can work, but often suffers from everyone being on their best behavior. You can't know if you fit in, or in many cases even what the job actually entails, until you've been in it for some period of time (months, usually, though I've seen people tossed in days). Most people are not as good at figuring that out from an interview as they want to believe, in my opinion.

And of course, one person's hell is another person's opportunity. Sometimes if you can handle a difficult boss or cow-orker, everyone will be glad. As a newbie, you usually have an opportunity to identify a couple of things you can fix quickly (whether social or technical) on top of what they expect you to do, and this can be your ticket to making your own luck.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points