This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 2:52 PM by 981086 RSS

Drive/Firmware question

981086 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My 2530 can see my 750gb E class SATA's just fine, my 1TB normal SATA's, 300GB SAS, but not the 450GB SAS. I took out 4 of the 450's and added 4 of the 750gb's I have laying around (so I have 8 450 SAS and 4 750 SATA) and it can see the SATA just fine, but still not the SAS.

If I remove one of the 450's from the array I see a WARN: DriveMgr: Removal event for drive that doesn't exist in the console.

Anyway, I know I'm running an older firmware (6.70.54.11) but since the units don't have a service contract apparently I'm stuck with that version. I was wondering if it's a firmware version or just a general drive compatability issue? The drives in particular are Seagate ST3450856SS, Cheetah 15K.6.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Drive/Firmware question
    981086 Newbie
    Anyway, I know I'm running an older firmware (6.70.54.11) but since the units don't have a service contract apparently I'm stuck with that version. I was wondering if it's a firmware version or just a general drive compatability issue? The drives in particular are Seagate ST3450856SS, Cheetah 15K.6.
    I was looking into one of the older release notes from 2009 ish and it shows that these exact drives are on their list of tested drives. I'm kind of stumped. Just to make sure that it wasn't an issue with the SATA drives, I removed them. With just the 450's in place, the unit never seems to finish boot up sequence as I cannot connect with CAM after 10 minutes. When I put 4 of the 300GB SAS drives in, as well as 8 of the 450GB SAS, the unit starts just fine and I'm able to connect to CAM pretty quickly (4 minutes or so) and but I still only see the 4 300GB drives. I've also tried moving the drives into different slots.

Now I've also tried the 450gb drives in the array with the 300gb drives, and it doesn't like them in there either.

I forgot to mention, all of the drives have the solid green OK light on as well. They do blink during while the drives are being scanned during the unit bootup. The units are 2530's
  • 2. Re: Drive/Firmware question
    981086 Newbie
    I'm looking through the release notes for the 6.7 series CAM, which I have, and It's stating that in order to upgrade from the 06.xx to the 07.00 series I have to follow special upgrade path, and it appears that the 6.7 series CAM has the 07.00 firmware. It also appears that the document that I found the drives (ST3450856SS) listed in is for 2500 version Release 1.4, which I assumed was before 6.7 and had nothing to do with 07.00.

Anyway, the 1.4 document references 6.4 assuming firmat 07.xx installed, so this is more than likely the problem.

I'll try to give that a shot over the next couple days and see if that fixes the problem.

Fingers crossed that all of the software I needed to do the upgrade came with the CAM software...
  • 3. Re: Drive/Firmware question
    981086 Newbie
    It appears that I have hit another roadblock in my process. I have the CAM software that was provided with the equipment when I got it (which is from earlier this year), but it doesn't seem to have the utility that's required to upgrade from Firmware 6.xx to 7.xx. Can any of the Oracle moderators let me know if upgrade utlity requires a support contract or not, or where to get it if it does not?
  • 4. Re: Drive/Firmware question
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Can any of the Oracle moderators ...
    Gary,
    Just to nitpick a bit.
    There are no Oracle moderators. OTN forum moderators are end-users, same as you, except that somehow they were convinced at some time in the past to volunteer their time and efforts to moderate in the forums. (What on God's Good Earth was I thinking when I said "OKAY" to that, I'll never know !!)

Yes, there are the occasional forum contributions by Oracle employees but they do so at their own choice as individuals and not by any company mandate. You can hope that one of them chooses to respond to you with usable information.

I'm just attempting to give you some perspective on what you are participating in. The forums are hosted by Oracle but are not an avenue to get to Oracle for help. Go back and review the first two paragraphs of the forum FAQ that you read when you first joined
  • 5. Re: Drive/Firmware question
    981086 Newbie
    rukbat wrote:
    Can any of the Oracle moderators ...
    Gary,
    Just to nitpick a bit.
    There are no Oracle moderators. OTN forum moderators are end-users, same as you, except that somehow they were convinced at some time in the past to volunteer their time and efforts to moderate in the forums. (What on God's Good Earth was I thinking when I said "OKAY" to that, I'll never know !!)
    I understnad your point, and I'm not try to offend or impose. I just wanted to ask the question in a way not to sound like I'm asking people to give me free software, which I know is against the guidelines.
    Yes, there are the occasional forum contributions by Oracle employees but they do so at their own choice as individuals and not by any company mandate. You can hope that one of them chooses to respond to you with usable information.
    ;) I feel your pain there. Been there done that myself.
    >
    I'm just attempting to give you some perspective on what you are participating in. The forums are hosted by Oracle but are not an avenue to get to Oracle for help. Go back and review the first two paragraphs of the forum FAQ that you read when you first joined
    The follow isn't directed at you, but rather my adventures today...

<SARCASM>
    Now, I did manage to contact Oracle support this today and was redirected to 866-322-0656 option #2 which actually leads me to the sales support voicemail box. Apparently their busy. Oracle support t 800-833-3536 option #6 did indeed answer the phone, but said there was nothing they could help me with my problem because to call that number, I needed a support contract. They couldn't even tell me if that utility was available via free or support channels.
    </SARCASM>

So I posted the question here, thinking there might be some people here that can tell me if that upgrade utility is a public or support required download, and where I could go to get it.

So my appologies if I offended anyone.
  • 6. Re: Drive/Firmware question
    Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle Expert
    Hi,

There is indeed no moderators for this forum, however we have moderators for the forums on https://communities.oracle.com/.
    I'm moderating the forum https://communities.oracle.com/portal/server.pt/community/storage_disk_2000%2C_3000%2C_6000_raid_arrays___jbods/465, hence if you have a login to My Oracle Support and have quick technical questions for the Midrange/Volume disk arrays, you can post them there.

In regards to the upgrade from 06.xx to 07.xx, this indeed requires a special upgrade utility which is not delivered with CAM. This upgrade cannot be performed with CAM because this is an offline procedure which does more than what CAM does for a standard upgrade. There are two upgrade utilities, one for the 2500 series and one for the 6000 series.
    We have two documents (accessible through support.oracle.com if you have a valid account) which provide more details:

Procedure to Upgrade the Sun StorageTek[TM] 2500 Series Array Controller Firmware from 06.xx to 07.xx. [ID 1319254.1]
    Procedure to Upgrade the Sun StorageTek[TM] 6540 Array, 6140 Array or FLX380 Storage Array from Firmware 06.xx to 07.xx. [ID 1131593.1]

These upgrade utilities are available only under warranty or support contract levels. Therefore, you need to log to https://support.oracle.com to download these utilities.

Regards
    Nicolas
  • 7. Re: Drive/Firmware question
    981086 Newbie
    We have two documents (accessible through support.oracle.com if you have a valid account) which provide more details:

Procedure to Upgrade the Sun StorageTek[TM] 2500 Series Array Controller Firmware from 06.xx to 07.xx. [ID 1319254.1]
    Procedure to Upgrade the Sun StorageTek[TM] 6540 Array, 6140 Array or FLX380 Storage Array from Firmware 06.xx to 07.xx. [ID 1131593.1]

These upgrade utilities are available only under warranty or support contract levels. Therefore, you need to log to https://support.oracle.com to download these utilities.
    I've seen the documents for the proceedure.

The last part is what I really need to know.

Thanks.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points