This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 12:59 AM by Shakun RSS

Java 1.7 and Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility

Shakun Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am working on a web application which has been build on JDK/JRE 1.6.0_06 and has been deployed on Tomcat 5.5.9 server. This application is on production since 2008. There is a plan to upgrade JDK/JVM to 1.7.0_07. My concern is that after the upgrade of JDK and JVM, will the application be deploying and running successfully on the aforesaid version of Tomcat i.e. 5.5.9 with out any issues? There is no information available either on java or on Apace Tomcat site regrading the compatibility of java 1.7 with tomcat 5.5.9. The only information I was able to collect is that Tomcat 5.5.9 requires minimum 1.4 version. There are no resources available for the maximum compatible version.

Please let me know if somebody has done such upgrade of their application or is aware of any known compatibility issue. I am afraid that we will need to upgrade tomcat as well along with upgrading to java 1.7. Do let me know if any more information is required.

PS: This is an urgent request to evaluate the feasibility. So we don't have much time, budget and resources to carry out a POC.

Thanks,
Shakun
  • 1. Re: Java 1.7 and Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility
    gimbal2 Guru
    Shakun wrote:
    Hi,

I am working on a web application which has been build on JDK/JRE 1.6.0_06 and has been deployed on Tomcat 5.5.9 server. This application is on production since 2008. There is a plan to upgrade JDK/JVM to 1.7.0_07. My concern is that after the upgrade of JDK and JVM, will the application be deploying and running successfully on the aforesaid version of Tomcat i.e. 5.5.9 with out any issues?
    Probably not, Tomcat 5.5.x is really old and so was never tested on JDK 7 and likely never will be. Upgrade to Tomcat 7 if you want to use Java 7 - it should be painless. Tomcat 7 is a far more stable product than 5.5.x in my experience, why you would choose to stick with such ancient technology (AKA a potential security hazard) is beyond me.
  • 2. Re: Java 1.7 and Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility
    Shakun Newbie
    Thanks a lot for the prompt response.

Any pointers which can help me in identifying potential issues?
  • 3. Re: Java 1.7 and Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility
    gimbal2 Guru
    Shakun wrote:
    Any pointers which can help me in identifying potential issues?
    Yep - when something doesn't work, you've got an issue.

Any other questions belong in a Tomcat forum / mailing list.
  • 4. Re: Java 1.7 and Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility
    EJP Guru
    I can't agree with 'probably not', as I have rarely encountered any problems with Java upgrades in 15 years of doing so, but I agree that you should upgrade the Tomcat version as a matter of course, and also that the whole discussion belongs on the Tomcat mailing list rather than here.
  • 5. Re: Java 1.7 and Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility
    Shakun Newbie
    Thanks a lot guys!

I have posted this query to Tomcat mailing lists as well. But no response as of now :(

My idea of putting this question here is that if somebody has worked on such or similar migration, then I will be able to fathom a little more.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points