This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 9:12 AM by Tridus RSS

created odbc then removed driver

862265 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I installed the 64bit 11g client on a windows 2008 R2 server. created some connections. Then found that i needed the 32 bit dirver. So i installed that one as well but i was unable to create connections. So i uninstalled both the 64 and 32 bit versions but did not delete the ODBC connections i had created. Now when i try to delete them i get a pop up saying that " the setup routines for the Oracle in OraClient11g_home1 ODBC driver could not be found. Please reinstall the driver." when i try to install it wants to install in a client_2 folder and will not let me install in client_1. I can't delete client_1 because some of the files are in use (i assume because of the odbc connections?). How do i remove these so i can just start over with a clean slate as far as oracle goes?
  • 1. Re: created odbc then removed driver
    EdStevens Guru
    859262 wrote:
    I installed the 64bit 11g client on a windows 2008 R2 server. created some connections. Then found that i needed the 32 bit dirver. So i installed that one as well but i was unable to create connections. So i uninstalled both the 64 and 32 bit versions but did not delete the ODBC connections i had created. Now when i try to delete them i get a pop up saying that " the setup routines for the Oracle in OraClient11g_home1 ODBC driver could not be found. Please reinstall the driver." when i try to install it wants to install in a client_2 folder and will not let me install in client_1. I can't delete client_1 because some of the files are in use (i assume because of the odbc connections?). How do i remove these so i can just start over with a clean slate as far as oracle goes?
    You could hack the registry, but unless you know what you are doing with it, I don't recommend it.

You said "when i try to install it wants to install in a client_2 folder and will not let me install in client_1". Please explain. My normal procedure for installing a client with odbc is to first do a standard installation of the run-time client. Next, because the first did not include the ODBC drivers, I go back and do a 'custom' install and select the ODBC component. Now, by default it is going to prompt me to install into a new home, but you can easily override that. The 'software location' field is a pick list, you should be able to open it and select your original home.
  • 2. Re: created odbc then removed driver
    Tridus Journeyer
    The files are probably in use due to something else like the OracleMTSRecovery Service, which seems to not uninstall correctly sometimes. Removing all that stuff (and the rest of Oracle) is a bit of thing. (edit - You could take a look here for one suggestion, but I make no promises as to if it works or not: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8450726/how-to-uninstall-completely-remove-oracle-11g-client )

But removing the ODBC connections is pretty easy. They're in the registry. Depending on if they're user or system DSNs, they're either in HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI

You'll see them listed under there if you expand that one, and can just delete them. That's for 64 bit ones, 32 bit ones are in \Software\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI

Edited by: Tridus on Jan 2, 2013 1:12 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points