3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 6:15 AM by EdStevens RSS

Not able to write into Files (into Unix Server) from Oracle DB Server

Need your Suggestion for the below problem.
      We have a situation where we are not able to write into Files (into Unix Server) from Oracle DB Server. Because the UNIX Server does not have the Oracle Instance Running. Basically Oracle Database is Hosted in different UNIX Server.

Current code has UTL_FILE utility, for which we are getting Invalid File operation Error. Because that's the Batch Programs Server and it is not the HOST for Oracle DB Server. This was the Existing Architecture.

But in new Architecture, they have hosted the DB into a different UNIX Server , and the previous UNIX Sever just has the Oracle Client in it, It is the place where we have all our UNIX scripts.

Can we have any other option to write data into File on to a UNIX server, which does not have Oracle DB hosted in it ?

We are migrating from oracle 9i to 11g.

Old architecture:
      Unix Server1
      -Batch Programs
      -Oracle Instance

New architecture:
      Unix Server1
      -Batch Program

Unix Server2
      -Oracle Instance
        • 1. Re: Not able to write into Files (into Unix Server) from Oracle DB Server
          sb92075
          968523 wrote:
          We have a situation where we are not able to write into Files (into Unix Server) from Oracle DB Server. Because the UNIX Server does not have the Oracle Instance Running. Basically Oracle Database is Hosted in different UNIX Server.

Current code has UTL_FILE utility, for which we are getting Invalid File operation Error. Because that's the Batch Programs Server and it is not the HOST for Oracle DB Server. This was the Existing Architecture.

But in new Architecture, they have hosted the DB into a different UNIX Server , and the previous UNIX Sever just has the Oracle Client in it, It is the place where we have all our UNIX scripts.

Can we have any other option to write data into File on to a UNIX server, which does not have Oracle DB hosted in it ?

Old architecture:
          Unix Server1
          -Batch Programs
          -Oracle Instance

New architecture:
          Unix Server1
          -Batch Program

Unix Server2
          -Oracle Instance
          How do I ask a question on the forums?
          SQL and PL/SQL FAQ
          • 2. Re: Not able to write into Files (into Unix Server) from Oracle DB Server
            Purvesh K
            968523 wrote:

To my knowledge, it is not possible.

What I would suggest is, create a Directory in your Oracle Server and write the file to that directory.
            By using a Cron job, you can then move the file to your desired server.

I am not sure if Oracle can use the network directory to directly write the file to a server that it does not run on. Maybe, it would be worth a try.
            • 3. Re: Not able to write into Files (into Unix Server) from Oracle DB Server
              EdStevens
              968523 wrote:

The database runs on a host computer. The database can only write to directories that the host os can write to.

Actually, it's broader than just databases. Any process can only write to directories that the host os can write to.

Old architecture:
              Unix Server1
              -Batch Programs
              -Oracle Instance

New architecture:
              Unix Server1
              -Batch Program

Unix Server2
              -Oracle Instance