5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 9:22 AM by 982153 RSS

Queries in SQL developper do not return anything?

Hello there,

First of I am completely new to Oracle and IT in general. Apart from having used computers since the heyday my knowledge of programming is very little. I have been reading Oracle documentation and bought the CBT nuggets tutorials to prepare for examination.

I have followed the instructions to install the HR schema which worked in SQL*Plus but whenever i go into SQL developper and create a connection using the same username/password as I did in SQL*plus, then type in the select table_name from user_tables; query, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? Am i simply not connecting to the same DB?

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Queries in SQL developper do not return anything?
          Mukesh75
          first test the connection.
          if success then write the query and check in query result pane.
          • 2. Re: Queries in SQL developper do not return anything?
            What do you mean by test the connection? In SQL developer it 'connects' to the database which has the same password as I used to log into SQL PLus.
            I made a new connection called HR in SQL developer with the username System and same password.
            • 3. Re: Queries in SQL developper do not return anything?
              Jim Smith
              You need to be logged in as HR.

"Select * from user_tables" returns the tables owned by the current user and system doesn't own any tables.
              • 4. Re: Queries in SQL developper do not return anything?
                So when i set up the HR schema using SQL plus and was prompted to give a password for HR, i did that. Now when i open up the SQL plus (as administrator) and log in using username HR and the password i set for it, I can access the Schema's default tables such as employees.

However on SQL developper, I open up a new connection called HR and put the same password that HR uses on SQL plus but whenever I attempt a select statement there are no returns. It just seems like SQL developper is not connected to the database.

I am currently using the CBT nuggers tutorial for the fundamentals exam 1z0-051 and the tutorial uses both SQL developer and SQL plus.

I appreciate all the responses but unfortunately I am stuck :(

I get this message when i go to Query builder:

Text is not a valid, single SELECT statement.
                Syntax Error at line 4, column 9

select * employees;
                ^^^

Expected: ',','BULK','FROM','INTO',BULK_COLLECT_opt,from_clause,into_list,
                Query Builder disabled.

Edited by: Vlakarmis on Jan 2, 2013 7:04 AM
                • 5. Re: Queries in SQL developper do not return anything?
                  Sorry guys I finally figured it out. I had the message log opened and thus could not see that actually the queries were being returned. MY apologies and thank you for your help :)