2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2012 1:06 PM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle and DBMS..? clarity required please!

Greetings to everyone from Bahrain!!

I'm a new member on this lovely forum and i would like to socialize with people here and make good contributions, i would like to investigate on or about Oracle database's, does Oracle have a query language and what are the tools beginners need to start learning Oracle DBMS!? your brief insights are welcomed and appreciated!!
        • 1. Re: Oracle and DBMS..? clarity required please!
          EdStevens
          979159 wrote:

I'm a new member on this lovely forum and i would like to socialize with people here
          Welcome to the forum. Please note that this is not a 'social forum'. Everyone here is either a working professional or studying to become one. Just like you, no one is paid to be here. Those who are working professionals all have paying jobs, and this forum ain't it. There will be an occasional 'social' comment amongst long term participants, but that is never the focus.
          and make good contributions, i would like to investigate on or about Oracle database's, does Oracle have a query language and what are the tools beginners need to start learning Oracle DBMS!? your brief insights are welcomed and appreciated!!
          Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
          - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
          - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
          - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
          - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

===
          For hands-on learning of just sql, I recommend you download and install Oracle-XE.

For hands on learning of the full range of DBA skills, I recommend the following steps
          Download and install VirtualBox. It's free, from Oracle. That's all the clues you should need to locate it.
          Once you have installed VirtualBox, download Oracle Linux and use it to create a virtual server under VirtualBox.
          Once you have created a virtual Linux server under VirtualBox, download Oracle rdbms and install it on your virtual server.

The above is very high level. The clues are there. Google is your friend. You will run into many issues as you try to do the above. Running into them and dealing with them is in itself part of your training. DBA's have to deal with a lot more than SQL, we have to deal with OS administration and network issues as well. Working through the above will give you a lot of that experience. Taking a pre-built system (there are some available) will inherently deny you the opportunity to gain important skills and learn important principles.
          • 2. Re: Oracle and DBMS..? clarity required please!
            sb92075
            979159 wrote:

I'm a new member on this lovely forum and i would like to socialize with people here and make good contributions, i would like to investigate on or about Oracle database's, does Oracle have a query language and what are the tools beginners need to start learning Oracle DBMS!? your brief insights are welcomed and appreciated!!
            every RDBMS has a query language called SQL

does GOOGLE work for you?

How do I ask a question on the forums?
            SQL and PL/SQL FAQ