7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 10:54 AM by user346369 RSS

Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure

Sameer Sai
      Hi,

I am calling a procedure in WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger in a form.

The compilation is getting stuck in the middle when the compilation reaches this trigger.

But when I compile the procedure that is called in the form from outside, its getting compiled successfully.

Can any body help me on this. Please let me know what might be the reason for this.

Thanks,
      Sameer
        • 1. Re: Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure
          Sameer Sai
          Hi All,

Can anybody please help me with this problem?
          • 2. Re: Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure
            CraigB
            Welcome to the Oracle Forums. Please take a few minutes to review the following:
            <ul>
            <li>Before posting on this forum please read
            <li>10 Commandments for the OTN Forums Member
            <li>How to ask questions the smart way
            </ul>
            Following these simple guidelines will ensure you have a positive experience in any forum; not just this one! ;-)

What is the compilation error (please post the full error)? It would also be helpful to know your Forms version as well.

Craig...
            • 3. Re: Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure
              kikolus
              Hi,
              As Craig said we need more info to help you: we need at least DB and Forms version and code you try to compile. There may be a plenty of reasons for such error. I just guessing, but I think that you use in code some feature which is not supported by Oracle Forms PL\SQL engine and is supported by database version you use, but I'm just guessing. Let us chance to help you.
              Greetings
              kikolus
              • 4. Re: Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure
                Sameer Sai
                Thanks Craig and Kikolus. I will definitely go through the links you mentioned.

Here are some more details for the above mentioned issue:

Forms version: 6.0
                Oracle DB: 10g

I am trying to compile a package call inside the trigger. I am not facing any error but the Form is getting stuck without getting compiled.

I waited for hours but still its in the same state.

I thought that the procedure has errors but though I re-compiled the procedure separately and compiled the form its still getting stuck.

Can you please let me know what might be the reasons for this issue so that I can work from my side.
                • 5. Re: Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure
                  user346369
                  You may be using an incompatible version of Forms....

What computer platform are you working on?

In Forms Builder, when you click Help, About, what full Forms Version does it report?

Can you compile any other form that calls any package procedure or stored procedure? Or is this the first time you have tried that with your Forms Developer setup?

Is this a form you are building from scratch, or one built somewhere else that you are modifying?
                  • 6. Re: Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure
                    Sameer Sai
                    Hi Steve,

I am working on Windows XP.

When I check on Help its showing Forms Version as : 6.0.8.11.3

I have compiled many other packages before and its not the first form I am using after the installation.

Currently I am modifying the existing form that was working good previously.

I investigated on that and the thing I observed is to the procedure code which is getting called in the form, I have added a new call to a procedure using dblink. When I am removing that procedure call its working fine.

Does anybody has idea why this is happening like that?

One more strange thing what I observed is:
                    I have moved the procedure that is available in the current schema to the destination schema which was getting accessed from dblink.
                    I created a synonym for the procedure in the current schema and I called the same procedure in the form, its working fine.

But this is not possible for all the cases, so someone please help me to sort out this issue.
                    • 7. Re: Form compilation getting stuck when I am calling one procedure
                      user346369
                      You are using a very much out-of-date version of Forms. At the very least, you should upgrade Forms to the latest Forms 6i, by applying Patch 18. That will bring you up to 6.0.8.27.0 Even at that level, Oracle does not support it, but some of us are still using it.

I think there have always been problems using database links, so I am not sure what your solution would be. ...maybe build procedures that run on the database to do the work, instead of from within your form, when they need to use database links. Then, call those procedures from your form.