2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2012 3:16 PM by baftos

Would it be fine if i read book on JavaSE 7 and I want to appear for SCJP6?

I have brought a book Ivor Horton's Beginning Java (KDK 7) and Kathy Sierra's SCJP Sun® Certified Programmer for Java™ 6. I want to prepare for SCJP 6. But Kathy Sierra's Book is not beginner book(you should have some knowledge about Java). So i thought, i should first read Ivor Horton's( based on JDK 7) book and then Kathy Sierra's book. Would it work for me. Or it would create confusion ?

Edited by: 921562 on Dec 30, 2012 2:08 AM
        • 1. Re: Would it be fine if i read book on JavaSE 7 and I want to appear for SCJP6?
          gimbal2
          You'll be fine, just as long as you take the time to figure out what is specific to Java 7. Plenty of articles about that on the net, so no problem.

BTW: scjp? Nowadays its Oracle, not Sun. Beware that Oracle changed the certification a bit.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Would it be fine if i read book on JavaSE 7 and I want to appear for SCJP6?
            baftos
            Here are the main differences between 6 and 7: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history#Java_SE_7_.28July_28.2C_2011.29. They are quite substantial at the language level and some important API's. Since you want to read 'Beginning Java', I assume you are a beginner and you don't need the extra-confusion resulting from trying to sort out what is part of what version of Java. I don't know the books and if the author of 'Beginning Java' points out which features are new. As a test, check if, when talking about String's in switch statements, they tell you that it is a new Java 7 feature.
            1 person found this helpful