This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 9:34 AM by flixblixclix Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Installing 11r2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Currently Being Moderated
    flixblixclix wrote:
    obviously downloaded from OTN only..... and as an old user, u might be knowing what version it was three days before......
    Not obvious from what you posted so far ;-) You could have downloaded from MOS, so it could have been any version.
    well, is it easy to install on oracle linux 5 which is installed in vmware 9
    If you downloaded from OTN, then you downloaded 11.2.0.1, and you will need to use Linux 5.x, not 6.x.

As Ed noted, if you follow the instructions in the Install Guide to the letter, you should have no issues.

HTH
    Srini
  • 16. Re: Installing 11r2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    flixblixclix Newbie
    cool...... perfectly pointing my mistake, i will work on this and then ask for any suggestion within one day.....

by the way, installing 11gr2 in oracle linux 6.3(which is on vmware workstation) , requires the network configuration to be set manually during installation.

Usually i tick the connect automatically, since am on home wifi network. if it really matters, could u guide me a little.....

thank u so much...

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 2, 2013 10:33 AM
  • 17. Re: Installing 11r2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    flixblixclix Newbie
    yeah, i didn't learn the documentation clearly,

file which i downloaded has documentation, which clearly says to be installed on linux 5.x..

thanks for helping me solve the problem . have to wait a little for linux 5.x download to be completed.

thanks again.

"*I will keep this post "Not Answered" untill i finish off with linux 5.x*,

*which is the Right file for Linux 5.x on edelivery cloud*

*1. Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 8 for x86_64 (64 Bit)*
    *2.Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 8 source*

* 1 or 2 , pls guide me to choose *

thanks to all the team members.

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 2, 2013 10:26 AM

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 2, 2013 10:37 AM

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 2, 2013 10:37 AM
  • 18. Re: Installing 11r2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    980508 Newbie
    Download V31120-01.

The source is the code.
  • 20. Re: Installing 11r2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) on detailed steps for installing 11gR2 on Linux 5.7 (in a VM)

HTH
    Srini
  • 21. Re: Installing 11r2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    EdStevens Guru
    flixblixclix wrote:
    cool...... perfectly pointing my mistake, i will work on this and then ask for any suggestion within one day.....

by the way, installing 11gr2 in oracle linux 6.3(which is on vmware workstation) , requires the network configuration to be set manually during installation.

Usually i tick the connect automatically, since am on home wifi network. if it really matters, could u guide me a little.....

thank u so much...

Yes.
    I have the following self-imposed requirements regarding the networking of my virtual machines that I set up as 'sandbox' systems on my desktop.

1 - as with any server, the vm must have a fixed ip address
    2 - the vm must be invisible outside of the physical machine under which it is running. Neither My company network admins, nor my isp, should ever be aware that it exists.
    3 - the vm must be able to reach the internet in order to download necessary software, particularly os packages needed to support oracle software.
    4 - I must be able to access and control the vm and anything running on it from my desktop using exactly the same tools as I use on any physical resource in my data center.

You indicated you are using VM Workstation. This makes it a little simpler than if you were using VirtualBox. You need to do two things.
    - configure your vitrual machine's network interface to use Network Address Translation. This will allow the machine to have its own IP address and hide behind the host OS.
    - installing VMworkstation creates two network adapter processes on the host. Check with the 'ipconfig' command, and look for the adapter named VMNet8. That's the one that runs NAT. Make note of it's ip address. It will me in the format of 'nnn.nnn.nnn.1'. Note that last octet is '1'. Let's say the full address is 192.168.23.1.
    - When installing/configuring the OS, give the machine a fixed (not dhcp) assigned address of 192.168.23.101. the first three octets must be the same as the VMNet8 adapter. the last octet must be something greater than 2, and as a standard I start mine with 101. The next machine I create will be 102, etc. You will also have to supply a DNS address, which should be 192.168.23.2 -- the first three octets of the adapter, with a value of 2 for the 4th octet.
    - add the vm's name and IP to the 'hosts' file on the host.

In the end, you should be able to 'ping' the vm from the host. Until you can do that, you have no hope of getting the rest to work. Once you can ping the vm, you should be able to connect to it with PuTTY, just like any other server in your organization. Once Oracle is installed and you have a database, you should be able to connect to that with sqlplus or any other client on your host desktop, just like any other database in your organization.

I never use the 'console' that runs within my virtualization software. If I have to do that, then I haven't achieved my objective of being able to deal with the vm just like any physical system I have access to.

Edited by: EdStevens on Jan 2, 2013 8:07 AM
  • 22. Re: Installing 11r2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    flixblixclix Newbie
    Great post which is really helpful to other too, thank u so much

right now on the way with oracle linux 5.8 on vmware 9 (because 11.2.0.1 can be done on linux 5.x only , said by Srini ) and

Oops started installation with automatic DHCP. will configure after installation.

thanks again for guide and excuse for late reply.

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 5, 2013 10:16 PM
  • 23. Re: Installing 11gr2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    flixblixclix Newbie
    well, Oracle Linux 5.8 with Database 11gr2 (11.2.0.1), works cool, after following Srini Chavali's blog. i followed this link...

http://chavalis.blogspot.in/search?q=Installing+11.2.0.1+in+linux

My post is answered, but i have question, before i quit this post...

1. since follwing Srini Chavali's blog, everythin worked like a charm, but i can't execute dbca in terminal, being a student ,
    am supposed to create many instance and tablespace etc.... , wanna know y i can't execute dbca- database configuration assistant, but
    default instacne orcl, executes well.

2. can any one tell what actually BCNF normalisation concept s all about with example.

3. want to change swap memory too, since it showed me error during installtion and ignored as this s sysprereq.

Thank to Srini Chavali's for great blog which helped me, and thanks in advance to all for my few questions to be answered.
  • 24. Re: Installing 11gr2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    sb92075 Guru
    flixblixclix wrote:
    well, Oracle Linux 5.8 with Database 11gr2 (11.2.0.1), works cool, after following Srini Chavali's blog. i followed this link...

My post is answered, but i have question, before i quit this post...

1. since follwing Srini Chavali's blog, everythin worked like a charm, but i can't execute dbca in terminal, being a student ,
    am supposed to create many instance and tablespace etc.... , wanna know y i can't execute dbca- database configuration assistant, but
    while above is likely 100% true, it is also 100% devoid of any actionable detail like below

my does not go.
    How to make my car go?

FWIW, dbca requires X-Windows to be functional & I doubt X-Windows works for you.

xclock must function OK before dbca will succeed.
  • 25. Re: Installing 11gr2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    flixblixclix Newbie
    i am a windows user and i am just started with linux but have little experience during college days.

so i know wt terminal s, but don't know what does x-term and xclock actually mean

hope Srini Chavali's will come back soon to guide me about dbca, as he's responsible....lollll

error which pops out in terminal is :

*[root@localhost ~]# dbca*
    bash: dbca: command not found

i think, its because shell which i defined as ksh. hope someone help me with this soon.

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 6, 2013 10:26 AM

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 6, 2013 10:30 AM

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 6, 2013 10:48 AM
  • 26. Re: Installing 11gr2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    sb92075 Guru
    flixblixclix wrote:
    i am a windows user and i am just started with linux but have little experience during college days.

so i know wt terminal s, but don't know what does x-term and xclock actually mean
    is GOOGLE broken for you?

BTW, I never used used "x-term" in my response.
  • 27. Re: Installing 11gr2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    flixblixclix Newbie
    oh ho.. just cool bro... Google s best friend for all,

bt i started using linux from last 10 days, and i stick to Database installation only and i succeeded with Srini Chawlas guide and his blog.

if u can help me, then it woulb be great as ur since 99

Edited by: flixblixclix on Jan 6, 2013 10:35 AM
  • 28. Re: Installing 11gr2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    user261410 Newbie
    Hi,

Did you check the environment path?
  • 29. Re: Installing 11gr2 in Oracle Linux 6.3 (./runInstaller - permission denied)
    flixblixclix Newbie
    this is what the environment path is..... kindly see it in this link

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points