This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 11:01 AM by Udo RSS

Apex Listener & SSL

jstem1177 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hello All,

I'm not much of a webmaster so just would like to wrap my head around things. I've got APEX Listener installed with Tomcat 7. Does the SSL need to be configured at the Tomcat level or at the Listener Layer.

Also, I see a lot of Glassfish. I'm assuming this is large enterprise server for additional Java EE support, and "supported", because I don't see how a small business could afford the 5K a processor. But for a small business, is Tomcat considered a suitable alternative for small businesses?

Sincerely

Jan S.
  • 1. Re: Apex Listener & SSL
    Udo Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hello Jan,
    Does the SSL need to be configured at the Tomcat level or at the Listener Layer.
    SSL is part of your Tomcat configuration. If you already have an Apache HTTP server with SSL in your farm, you could also configure it to act as reverse proxy and let the Tomcat work without SSL. The connection would then be like
    Client (HTTPS) ==> (HTTPS) Proxy (HTTP/AJP) ==> (HTTP/AJP) Tomcat
    Also, I see a lot of Glassfish. I'm assuming this is large enterprise server for additional Java EE support, and "supported", because I don't see how a small business could afford the 5K a processor.
    I get your point for the 5K, but GlassFish is actually the smallest supported JEE container and considered a kind of "light weight" also targeted at small businesses. WebLogic is much more expensive...
    But for a small business, is Tomcat considered a suitable alternative for small businesses?
    If you don't need official support for your business, you'll be fine with Tomcat.

-Udo

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points