9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 6:16 AM by Pinela RSS

primary and standby databases

REDO LOG
      Hi all,

I have I project that consists on creating a standby database to archive the primary database in it, the problem is that I need two machines, witch is not the case for me, so I am asking if I can place the primary database in my machine and the standby database in a virtual machine (vm installed in the same machine as the primary database). This project is network project so I needed something that includes network aspects.

thanks for help

best regards Rashid
        • 1. Re: primary and standby databases
          sb92075
          REDO LOG wrote:
          Hi all,

I have I project that consists on creating a standby database to archive the primary database in it, the problem is that I need two machines, witch is not the case for me, so I am asking if I can place the primary database in my machine and the standby database in a virtual machine (vm installed in the same machine as the primary database). This project is network project so I needed something that includes network aspects.

thanks for help

best regards Rashid
          do it between two virtual machines
          • 2. Re: primary and standby databases
            REDO LOG
            that would be a solution, but the physical resources are not enough, I run a windows xp sp3 on HP 620 (2GB RAM)
            • 3. Re: primary and standby databases
              Hemant K Chitale
              I assume that this is an academic project, not a commercial project.

2GB RAM would be insufficient to run both a Database on the Host and a Guest VM with a Database in it. The minimum you'd need is 4GB

Hemant K Chitale
              • 4. Re: primary and standby databases
                REDO LOG
                thanks for replay,

exactly this is an academic project, I have installed the win xp sp3 on the vmware ans succeed to ping ips from both sides,

my question now is I will perform the standby database installation on the vm?

I mean, will the installation will be the same as the primary database? and if so how will I configure it to be the standby db? thanks for any help

best regard Rashid
                • 5. Re: primary and standby databases
                  Pinela
                  hi,

you need to install the oracle software (not create a database), and do some basic configuration (init, orapw etc), before you actually create the database.

br,
                  jpinela.
                  • 6. Re: primary and standby databases
                    REDO LOG
                    Hi thanks for replay

so I just need to install oracle software without creating the database, and create the database manually (the architecture), then modify the parameters of both primary and standby dbs?
                    • 7. Re: primary and standby databases
                      Pinela
                      no problem.

yes.basically that is it.
                      create the init, restore the db(following correct procedure), create the tnsnames aliases, establish connectivity between the two machines, and that is it.

br,
                      jpinela.
                      • 8. Re: primary and standby databases
                        REDO LOG
                        thanks for replay,
                        I found this article: http://www.orafaq.com/node/2030 , does it looks interesting for my project, because I haven't tried to backup a database before, I just know some administrative tasks but never look to backup how it works

thanks

Edited by: REDO LOG on Jan 2, 2013 3:44 PM
                        • 9. Re: primary and standby databases
                          Pinela
                          yes, that looks good.
                          you can use that method and avoid the backup.
                          if it is just for academic purposes that is fine :)

br,
                          jpinela.

p.s. - please mark all usefull or correct comments as such.
                          the volunteers say thank you :)