6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 7:33 AM by BluShadow RSS

Missing threads

sql_coder
      Hello Oracle,

I dont find some threads in the Oracle SQL and PL/SQL anymore, they should not be older then 3 weeks. Is Oracle deleting threads or I am just not able to find them ?

ikrischer
        • 1. Re: Missing threads
          BluShadow
          How are you trying to find these threads?

I've not noticed threads going missing (unless moderators are deleting them), but there again, I'm not going looking for threads older than a few days.
          • 2. Re: Missing threads
            Billy~Verreynne
            I've also not noticed threads being arbitrarily deleted on OTN forums. The only deletions I've seen are/were spam related.

But, it can be difficult to find an old thread at times. And I use Google to find old threads and not the Jives search option - the latter is rather clunky IMO and often fails to find the specific thread I'm looking for.

As for using Google. Use the site keyword to restrict searches to OTN (i.e. use site:forums.oracle.com as part of the search string) - and add keywords to find in descending order of importance. For example, if you participated in the thread, add your OTN handle, followed by keywords that your response may have included, together with the keywords describing the subject matter discussed.

If the search results include far-east OTN servers, you can still use the link and after the page displayed, remove the prefix from the URL and point it to forums.oracle.com - that will display the page from the US/English OTN servers.
            • 3. Re: Missing threads
              sql_coder
              BluShadow wrote:
              Forum search by UserID | Search terms in the PL/SQL section. Let me ask different, how can I get a list of all threads where I made a comment in the PL/SQL section ?

ikrischer
              • 4. Re: Missing threads
                BluShadow
                Ikrischer wrote:
                BluShadow wrote:
                Forum search by UserID | Search terms in the PL/SQL section. Let me ask different, how can I get a list of all threads where I made a comment in the PL/SQL section ?

ikrischer
                The forum search is rubbish (read that as broken if you like).
                Best way to search the forums is how billy describes, using google.
                • 5. Re: Missing threads
                  sql_coder
                  thanks both of you, I will try to find it via google. I guess it is not planed to fix the forum search....

ikrischer
                  • 6. Re: Missing threads
                    BluShadow
                    Ikrischer wrote:
                    thanks both of you, I will try to find it via google. I guess it is not planed to fix the forum search....

ikrischer
                    No, but it IS planned to replace the whole forum with an up to date and supported version of forum software.... whenever that may be... I think it's in test at Oracle as we speak.