This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 2:30 PM by gimbal2 RSS

Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5

872880 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Folks,

I would like to develop a web application from scratch using the latest technologies encompassing JAVA and HTML5.

Could you please suggest me with the technologies that I can endorse to fulfill my needs?

Also pls let me know like what framework would be apt for each level of development front end, business logic etc) for end-to-end application development.

Thanks.

Edited by: 869877 on Jan 2, 2013 12:48 PM
  • 1. Re: Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5
    EJP Guru
    Could you please suggest me with the technologies that I can endorse to fulfill my needs?
    If you have to endorse it you should most certainly do your own research. Asking questions in forums isn't research.
  • 2. Re: Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5
    gimbal2 Guru
    869877 wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I would like to develop a web application from scratch using the latest technologies encompassing JAVA and HTML5.

Also pls let me know like what framework would be apt for each level of development front end, business logic etc) for end-to-end application development.

Thanks.

Edited by: 869877 on Jan 2, 2013 12:48 PM
    What EJP says is still true, but I choose to believe you just worded your intentions poorly.

you could start your research with Play framework. Any Java framework which does not take full control over the front-end can work just fine, which is the majority of them. And before you attempt to ask: there is no best.
  • 3. Re: Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5
    EJP Guru
    Several worsts though :-)
  • 4. Re: Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5
    gimbal2 Guru
    EJP wrote:
    Several worsts though :-)
    ahaaaa be careful, this invites to discuss which ones ;) I'd rather have a fist fight.
  • 5. Re: Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5
    872880 Newbie
    I accept that my wordings were poor :). I would need your expertise comments/suggestions so that I can take right decisions before jumping into pitfalls..

So ideally i need a starting point on how and where to start with.... Like what framework can be used for front-end binding with the java technology etc.

Thanks.
  • 6. Re: Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5
    aksarben Journeyer
    Everyone has their favorites, based on their own experiences. Personally I like Wicket (assuming the project or app is large enough to justify the learning curve). It cleanly separates business & presentation logic & is supported by an active user community & mailing list.

I would avoid Struts like the plague.The designers had the best of intentions, no doubt, but, IMHO, it can be a nightmare to maintain.
  • 7. Re: Developing Web App using JAVA + HTML5
    gimbal2 Guru
    869877 wrote:
    Like what framework can be used for front-end binding with the java technology etc.
    A question Google can answer for you easily. But what the heck:

- basic servlets & JSPs
    - Play framework
    - GWT (sort of a Java web framework)
    - Wicket
    - Vaadin
    - HybridJava
    - Spring MVC
    - Javaserver Faces 2.1 + Primefaces + Omnifaces

And plenty more; these are the ones I would consider as possibilities, which I for the fun of it ordered from most likely to least likely that a novice is going to succeed to properly apply it - note that this does not say anything about the quality of the framework itself. I prefer JSF myself, but I acknowledge that it is the hardest to become proficient with and hence I put it at the bottom of the list. That is only my opinion though, I'm pretty sure this list is different for anyone that is willing to vent an opinion about it. And that's why you can't be helped this way, you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Perhaps you want to consider using .NET? Less choices that way, Microsoft likes to hold your hand.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points