2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 5:05 AM by Jan-Marten Spit RSS

Oracle 11gR2 RAC Scan Virtual IPs

Hi, I have a doubt, I was installing Oracle RAC 11gR2 but I didn't understand how to do to resolve rac node ip address if the scan host has virtual ip and supposedly that ip address is not associated with specific host, when I attempt to ping to scan host why get response from rac nodes?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC Scan Virtual IPs
          onedbguru
          http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+scan+pdf

Read and follow this scan document.

SCAN **MUST** be configured using DNS.

nslookup <scan_name...>
          • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC Scan Virtual IPs
            Jan-Marten Spit
            "..how to do to resolve rac node ip address if the scan host has virtual ip.."

use DNS to round robin the 3+ IP's.

"..and supposedly that ip address is not associated with specific host, when I attempt to ping to scan host why get response from rac nodes?"

it -is- associated with a specific host. but you did not assign that IP from the OS level, Oracle clusterware does that for you, dynamically.

In a two node RAC you will (assuming the recommended setup) have 3 SCAN listeners, so 2 on one node, and 1 on the other. If you stop the node with the 2 SCAN listeners, clusterware will reassign the corresponing IP's to the remaining node, and start the listeners there.

which you can obviously verify with ipconfig or netstat, or the /sys pseudo fs on Linux.