This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 3:39 PM by jnojr RSS

JRE7 on OSX, no JRE available

jnojr Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
On a few OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 systems, I've installed the Java 7u10 package. But there is no JRE available... "java -version" says "No Java runtime present, requesting install" and the browser pops up windows complaining about a lack of Java that try to install java6 from Apple. Googling doesn't turn up anything helpful, other than a cryptic reference on http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/mac/mac-jre.html that says:

Installing a JRE from Oracle will not:

Update java -version symlinks or add java to your path.
Show the installed JRE in the Java Preferences.app

To be able to do the above, you need to install the JDK

And that, of course, makes zero sense... I do not need a dev kit, just the JRE, and if for some reason it's now impossible to just have the JRE, why have it available as a download?
  • 1. Re: JRE7 on OSX, no JRE available
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    Hello,

The Java Runtime download from java.com/oracle.com contains a plugin to run Java content from your browser. It does not contain the command line tools.
    You will need to download the JDK. This contains the runtime tools to run Java from your Terminal.
    This packaging is different then what was seen with Windows. The packaging from Apple was different as well, the JDK, JRE, and Plugin all in one dmg.

JDK download:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1880260.html

You can leave the JRE/Plugin installed. They are separate and coexist without issue.

Also, you could try to set your path to the binary that was installed. The location of the binaries is included on the URL you included.

- Roger
  • 2. Re: JRE7 on OSX, no JRE available
    jnojr Newbie
    Um, since there can only be one JRE on OS X< how about having the package set that symlink?

It does seem to work after I manually change it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points