4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 10:26 AM by 957352 RSS

Logging into Hyperion Planning is taking several minutes for users

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can help with an urgent issue. A problem has popped up the day after everyone returned from holiday break. All users that are listed in MSAD in Shared Services are taking several minutes to log into Hyperion Planning. The only users that are not having problems are admin and a testuser account. Both of these accounts are from the Native Directory.

When I go into Shared Services and do a search in the MSAD, it is taking several minutes for the list of users or groups to come up. Everything is working normally in Planning when I'm using the admin account, except for when I'm trying to assign access to a dimension. That is not working, but I can modify an existing access to a dimension.

Our IT department has restarted all Hyperion services and made sure that the service account (active directory) is not locked. Everything on their end looks like its running correctly, as far as they can tell. I've refreshed the database and security filters, but that has not corrected anything and I've reregistered the application with shared services.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

David
        • 1. Re: Logging into Hyperion Planning is taking several minutes for users
          John A Booth
          It is obvious there is some type of communication issue with MSAD and your Hyperion environment. As an user equivalent to the internal admin log into shared services and review the MSAD configuration. If it is setup to use multiple servers try to use a known good MSAD server and then get IT to look at why the existing configuration is not working.

If you are very desperate you could hit my blog and send me an email.

Regards,

John A. Booth
          http://www.metavero.com
          • 2. Re: Logging into Hyperion Planning is taking several minutes for users
            Hello John,

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure if we do have multiple MSAD servers, so I've forwarded the question on to my IT department and I'm waiting for their response.

During my call with Oracle support, they suggested turning off the MSAD group configuration and restarting Hyperion to see if that would help. The only area that it seemed to help is in searching for users in MSAD. That works a lot faster now, but it didn't fix the problem with the users logging into Hyperion. I've sent Oracle the shared services logs for Admin, Hub and Security as they requested and I'm waiting for their response.

Thanks,

David
            • 3. Re: Logging into Hyperion Planning is taking several minutes for users
              John A Booth
              Once groups were disabled did you have all Hyperion services restarted?

You may also want to review the following KB articles which also can affect stability and performance of MSAD.
              Using User Filter to Reduce the Number of Users Retreived from Microsoft Active Directory (MSAD) [ID 1227144.1]
              Increase Essbase Server Java heap size [ID 1473163.1]

Regards,

John A. Booth
              http://www.metavero.com
              • 4. Re: Logging into Hyperion Planning is taking several minutes for users
                I did have IT restart all Hyperion services and only saw the user search function improve after the restart.

After reading the Using User Filter to Reduce the Number of Users Retreived from Microsoft Active Directory (MSAD) [ID 1227144.1], I have a quick question: Would using the generic sample query statement for "Object is a user" (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user))
                suffice, or do I have to modify the statement?

Thanks,

David