This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 7:49 AM by rcc50886 RSS

How reliable is DUPLICATE .. FROM ACTIVE DATABASE ?

Kavanagh Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Version : 11.2.0.3
Platform : OEL 6

DUPLICATE .. FOR STANDBY FROM ACTIVE DATABASE doesn't involve taking any RMAN Backup files. Right? Just transferring data across the network.

Given that I have a good network throughput, how reliable it is to use this feature to create a standby from a 2 TeraByte Primary ? The standby DB will be created in our Data Center located 50KM away from the Primary Site.
  • 1. Re: How reliable is DUPLICATE .. FROM ACTIVE DATABASE ?
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

It works well. Watch out for drain on your network and database. Off peak is best. ( In fact it's also my method of recover if I totally trash my standby )

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/standby_creation_from_active_database_using_rman.html

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jan 3, 2013 8:59 AM
  • 2. Re: How reliable is DUPLICATE .. FROM ACTIVE DATABASE ?
    CKPT Guru
    Kavanagh wrote:

DUPLICATE .. FOR STANDBY FROM ACTIVE DATABASE doesn't involve taking any RMAN Backup files. Right? Just transferring data across the network.

Given that I have a good network throughput, how reliable it is to use this feature to create a standby from a 2 TeraByte Primary ? The standby DB will be created in our Data Center located 50KM away from the Primary Site.
    2TB is not a small database to perform Duplicate from ACTIVE Database, Yes as you said there is no more need of backups from 11g if you use ACTIVE database.
    Do not consider of the distance, Consider the bandwidth speed between two sites and how fast data can transfer and how stable it is.

You can test the network speed by transferring any one of the big file using SCP also, On top of that you can estimate how much time it can complete and ensure there is no network glitches/interruptions to avoid failure duplicate.
  • 3. Re: How reliable is DUPLICATE .. FROM ACTIVE DATABASE ?
    rcc50886 Journeyer

Given that I have a good network throughput, how reliable it is to use this feature to create a standby from a 2 TeraByte Primary ? The standby DB will be created in our Data Center located 50KM away from the Primary Site
    Is your company is wiling to provide all of the network bandwidth for your actions ?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points