1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2013 2:00 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
        Allow me to explain

Host A: hostname: SERVER_A: Oracle Application and Oracle Database were running

Host B: Nothing is running

****something happened*****

Host A: hostname: SERVER_A: Oracle Application is running ( but cannot find the database )

Host B: hostname: SERVER_B: Oracle Database and listener is running ( but application cannot connect because it is not configured )

Please correct me:

I understand that your solution requires me:

To change the hostname of Host B: hostname: SERVER_B: to Host A: hostname: SERVER_A: and make the changes in the database using the documents
        How to change the hostname and/or port of the Database Tier using AutoConfig [ID 338003.1]
        How to get a clean Autoconfig Environment ? [ID 391406.1]

OR

To apply directly the metalink documents on the hostname of Host B: hostname: SERVER_B: without changing the hostname ? keeping in mind that the database is up and running on the HOST B: SERVER_B .

Kindly clarify as it will be big help ... I searched everywhere in google and metalink and could not find any solution to such case.

Edited by: 973807 on Jan 6, 2013 3:35 AM
        • 16. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
          EBSDBA
          Dear User,

Allow me to explain 

Host A: hostname: SERVER_A: Oracle Application and Oracle Database were running

Host B: Nothing is running

****something happened*****

Host A: hostname: SERVER_A: Oracle Application is running ( but cannot find the database )

Host B: hostname: SERVER_B: Oracle Database and listener is running ( but application cannot connect because it is not configured )
          Please correct me: 
          Ok fine
          I understand that your solution requires me:

To change the hostname of Host B: hostname: SERVER_B: to Host A: hostname: SERVER_A: and make the changes in the database using the documents
          How can you change the hostname B to hostname A , while your application is running on hostname A in the same network.

You will get machine name and IP conflict.
          To apply directly the metalink documents on the hostname of Host B: hostname: SERVER_B: without changing the hostname ? keeping in mind that the database is up and running on the HOST B: SERVER_B .

Kindly clarify as it will be big help ... I searched everywhere in google and metalink and could not find any solution to such case.
          To apply those metalink documents, application on SERVER_A is expecting that the database is running on the same node SERVER_A
          So you cannot change until you have a database connection.

Thanks
          • 17. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
            EBSDBA wrote:

To apply those metalink documents, application on SERVER_A is expecting that the database is running on the same node SERVER_A
            So you cannot change until you have a database connection.

Thanks
            Thank you for the clarification. So what is the solution in this case ?

- How can I let the application know that the database has been moved to another hostname/machine and the database is already moved, it is not available for connection through the application ?
            * can I make any changes in the application configuration files to point the database to the new hostname/machine

Edited by: 973807 on Jan 6, 2013 7:48 AM
            • 18. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
              what are the files where the Database information is stored in the application node ?
              tnsnames.ora context files listener.ora ?

so editing these files and pointing it to the new hostname would work ?
              • 19. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                You can make the application server point to the new database node by either running postclone on the apps tier node (assuming preclone was run on the application node before). Or, you could edit the application context file and correct all context variables to point to the new database hostname instead of the old one then run AutoConfig.

Thanks,
                Hussein
                • 20. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                  Hussein, I really do appreciate your answers.

Unfortunately, pre-clone was not run on the apps tier or database tier.

You mentioned that I need to edit context_file.

"correct all context variables to point to the new database hostname instead of the old one then run AutoConfig."

1- if you don't mind which context variables do I need to change.

2- Do I need to also manually edit listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora and change it on the application tier.

Appreciate your answers.
                  • 21. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    "correct all context variables to point to the new database hostname instead of the old one then run AutoConfig."

1- if you don't mind which context variables do I need to change.
                    There is only one context file -- Issue " vi $CONTEXT_FILE" after you source the application env file.
                    2- Do I need to also manually edit listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora and change it on the application tier.
                    No, since AutoConfig will take care of this.

Thanks,
                    Hussein
                    • 22. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                      I meant within the context file.

since within the context_file there are references to the hostname for APPS tier as well. I mean

<oa_db_server>
                      <dbhost oa_var="s_dbhost">standby</dbhost>
                      <domain oa_var="s_dbdomain">test.com</domain>
                      <dbsid oa_var="s_db_serv_sid">PROD</dbsid>
                      <dbport oa_var="s_dbport" oa_type="PORT">1524</dbport>
                      <dbcset oa_var="s_dbcset">AR8ISO8859P6</dbcset>
                      </oa_db_server>

Then there are so many references....

<oa_admin_server>
                      <hostname oa_var="s_admhost">standby</hostname>
                      <domain oa_var="s_admdomain">test.com</domain>

How to know which is the specific <tag> which needs to be changed only for the database ?

THANKS
                      • 23. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                        How to know which is the specific <tag> which needs to be changed only for the database ?
                        Search for ALL old hostnames and replace it with the new ones.

Thanks,
                        Hussein
                        • 24. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                          Clarification :

DIAGRAM 1

http://i46.tinypic.com/24qlus0.jpg

DIAGRAM 2
                          http://i46.tinypic.com/dfce1j.jpg

So, if I replace all the OLD_HOSTNAMES in the context_file with the NEW_HOSTNAMES then wouldn't that also change the URL for the Oracle EBS application ?

After replacing all OLD_hostnames with the NEW_hostnames The URL would be pointing to the Machine/Server which has the Database but the application tier ( web reports forms cp ) is still residing and running on the old hostname.

Will autoconfig be enough or I need to do any additional steps ?
                          • 25. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                            any suggestions will be appreciated. ...
                            • 26. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                              973807 wrote:
                              Clarification :

DIAGRAM 1

http://i46.tinypic.com/24qlus0.jpg

DIAGRAM 2
                              http://i46.tinypic.com/dfce1j.jpg

So, if I replace all the OLD_HOSTNAMES in the context_file with the NEW_HOSTNAMES then wouldn't that also change the URL for the Oracle EBS application ?
                              Yes (since you are running everything on one node now)
                              After replacing all OLD_hostnames with the NEW_hostnames The URL would be pointing to the Machine/Server which has the Database but the application tier ( web reports forms cp ) is still residing and running on the old hostname.
                              According to your diagram everything is running on one node.
                              Will autoconfig be enough or I need to do any additional steps ?
                              AutoConfig will be enough.

Thanks,
                              Hussein
                              • 27. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                                1. everything was running on single node
                                then disaster happened

2. database moved to another server ( through dataguard or Tivoli or net backup ) but application remained on the old node !

question: how to connect application on old node with database on the new one keeping in mind no preclone was run.....

thanks
                                • 28. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                  973807 wrote:
                                  1. everything was running on single node
                                  then disaster happened

2. database moved to another server ( through dataguard or Tivoli or net backup ) but application remained on the old node !

question: how to connect application on old node with database on the new one keeping in mind no preclone was run.....

thanks
                                  I have already answered this.

Thanks,
                                  Hussein
                                  1 2 Previous Next