1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2013 2:00 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

    Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database

    976810
      Hello Folks,

      Happy New Year.

      Need quick document in meta-link or blog which will help me connect the database on other server to the Oracle E-business Suite EBS application

      The scenario:

      Application and Database are on the server_A (hostname ServerA)

      I have made a cold backup of the database and restored it on Server_B ( hostname ServerB) { let us say I migrated / moved the database to another machine }

      Database starts and listener starts fine on ServerB

      Now, the question is: How can I connect or point the Oracle EBS 11.5.x application to the Database on ServerB ?
        • 1. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          973807 wrote:
          Hello Folks,

          Happy New Year.

          Need quick document in meta-link or blog which will help me connect the database on other server to the Oracle E-business Suite EBS application

          The scenario:

          Application and Database are on the server_A (hostname ServerA)

          I have made a cold backup of the database and restored it on Server_B ( hostname ServerB) { let us say I migrated / moved the database to another machine }

          Database starts and listener starts fine on ServerB

          Now, the question is: How can I connect or point the Oracle EBS 11.5.x application to the Database on ServerB ?
          Rapid Clone Documentation Resources For Release 11i and 12 [ID 799735.1] -- Rapid Clone of E-Business Suite Release 11i
          How to change the hostname and/or port of the Database Tier using AutoConfig [ID 338003.1]
          How to get a clean Autoconfig Environment ? [ID 391406.1]
          Using AutoConfig to Manage System Configurations with Oracle Applications 11i [ID 165195.1]

          Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
            976810
            Thanks for the reply:

            Before starting it, i have tried this

            SQL> SELECT trigger_name , status FROM user_triggers WHERE table_name = 'FND_NODES' ;

            no rows selected

            SQL> select node_name from fnd_nodes;
            select node_name from fnd_nodes
            *
            ERROR at line 1:
            ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

            I searched this forum and google and came across your post Authentication Coloumn in FND_NODES - Oracle E - Biz R12

            >

            Please see (Tips and Queries for Troubleshooting Advanced Topologies [ID 364439.1]), "Understanding the FND_NODES Query Results" section.


            Any quick solution ?
            • 3. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              973807 wrote:
              Thanks for the reply:

              Before starting it, i have tried this

              SQL> SELECT trigger_name , status FROM user_triggers WHERE table_name = 'FND_NODES' ;

              no rows selected

              SQL> select node_name from fnd_nodes;
              select node_name from fnd_nodes
              *
              ERROR at line 1:
              ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

              I searched this forum and google and came across your post Authentication Coloumn in FND_NODES - Oracle E - Biz R12

              >

              Please see (Tips and Queries for Troubleshooting Advanced Topologies [ID 364439.1]), "Understanding the FND_NODES Query Results" section.
              Any quick solution ?
              Are you connected to sqlplus as apps user?

              The FND_NODES table is under APPLSYS schema -- http://etrm.oracle.com/pls/trm1159/etrm_pnav.show_object?c_name=FND_NODES&c_owner=APPLSYS&c_type=TABLE

              And, the synonym is under APPS schema -- http://etrm.oracle.com/pls/trm1159/etrm_pnav.show_object?c_name=FND_NODES&c_owner=APPS&c_type=SYNONYM

              So, if you want to check if the table is there in your database or not, please run the following from sqlplus:
              SQL> select owner, object_type
              from dba_objects
              where object_name = 'FND_NODES';
              Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                976810
                Thanks Hussein,

                SQL> select owner, object_type from dba_objects where object_name = 'FND_NODES';


                OWNER OBJECT_TYPE
                ------------------------------ ------------------
                APPLSYS TABLE
                APPS SYNONYM

                SQL> SELECT trigger_name , status FROM user_triggers WHERE table_name = 'FND_NODES' ;


                TRIGGER_NAME STATUS
                ------------------------------ --------
                FNDSM ENABLED
                UPNAME ENABLED


                Hussein, the specific question is as such.. I don't know if this is possible or not.

                Can you have two databases connected to the same application.

                Scenario:

                SERVER_A = has both the application and database
                using DBVISIT software / which is an alternative to DataGuard ... which transfers the archive log files to the other server, I have moved or made the standby server as my primary database . see here for details http://blog.dbvisit.com/the-power-of-oracle-services-with-standby-databases/

                Two Questions:

                1) How to re-configure my Application ( Oracle EBS ) to point to the same Database but on a different hostname/server/ip address which you have answered and referred to the MetaLink documents ( thank you for that )


                2) Can I have two pointers to the database in the Application, to the existing one and to the one on standby server ?
                a) is this possible ?



                Also,

                now regarding changing the hostname for the database in Oracle EBS apps you have recommended
                Rapid Clone Documentation Resources For Release 11i and 12 [ID 799735.1] -- Rapid Clone of E-Business Suite Release 11i
                How to change the hostname and/or port of the Database Tier using AutoConfig [ID 338003.1]
                How to get a clean Autoconfig Environment ? [ID 391406.1]
                Using AutoConfig to Manage System Configurations with Oracle Applications 11i [ID 165195.1]

                Now, I have read those documents which is kind of summarized here:

                http://oracleappsdba1.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html



                I hope my question is clear.
                I have already moved the database to another Machine ( different hostname + different IP ) and the application is on the previous machine
                So, to connect the Application on SERVER_A to the same database but on a different machine SERVER_B I will have to only follow the instructions mentioned in Metalink 338003.1 or do I need more steps ?

                Edited by: 973807 on Jan 5, 2013 5:23 AM
                • 5. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                  976810
                  I have some confusion, I hope someone can clear my confusion.

                  1) I cannot run pre-clone scripts because the Database has been already moved from the existing server ( which had Application & Database ) to the new server
                  - I cannot deregister the database because it is no more on the server which has the application
                  - So I cannot run pre-clone scripts --- the only option is now to reconfigure the application to show it the new hostname

                  2) To do the steps :How to change the hostname and/or port of the Database Tier using AutoConfig [ID 338003.1]
                  1) Do I need to run this on both the server which has Application
                  2) Do I need to run this on the new server which has the Database
                  3) through which username should I proceed ? oracle user or application user ? as the metalink document is not clear.


                  THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK>

                  E
                  • 6. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    973807 wrote:
                    I have some confusion, I hope someone can clear my confusion.

                    1) I cannot run pre-clone scripts because the Database has been already moved from the existing server ( which had Application & Database ) to the new server
                    - I cannot deregister the database because it is no more on the server which has the application
                    - So I cannot run pre-clone scripts --- the only option is now to reconfigure the application to show it the new hostname

                    2) To do the steps :How to change the hostname and/or port of the Database Tier using AutoConfig [ID 338003.1]
                    1) Do I need to run this on both the server which has Application
                    2) Do I need to run this on the new server which has the Database
                    3) through which username should I proceed ? oracle user or application user ? as the metalink document is not clear.


                    THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK>

                    E
                    You need to run preclone and it is a must before you copy the files.

                    FAQ: Cloning Oracle Applications Release 11i [ID 216664.1] -- 19. Does Rapid Clone modify the source system?

                    Thanks,
                    Hussein
                    • 7. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                      976810
                      Does oracle have any solution without running pre-clone scripts in the even of database corruption or hard disk failure and it has to be moved onto seperate servers/nodes ?
                      • 8. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                        973807 wrote:
                        Does oracle have any solution without running pre-clone scripts in the even of database corruption or hard disk failure and it has to be moved onto seperate servers/nodes ?
                        Running preclone is a must and it does not update the source system so you should always make sure that preclone is run at least once (or whenever you update your source system). If the source database is still available you can create the target database manually (see the Rapid Clone docs referenced above).

                        Thanks,
                        Hussein
                        • 9. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                          976810
                          Thanks for the reply. However, in the event of disaster or data corruption, what would be the method ? to restore database only on a different server/machine and connect it to the oracle application ?
                          I have searched MetaLink but didn't find any document.

                          Searching on google, found blogs which suggested to manually edit the context file, listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora replace the hostname with the new hostname

                          any idea about possible solution for this ?
                          • 10. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                            Are you using the same hostname, domain name, port number, directory structure .. etc on the target node? If yes, then you can simply bring the database up after you restore it. Once the database is up you can run preclone then change the target hostname, domain, directory structure .. etc followed by postclone.

                            Thanks,
                            Hussein
                            • 11. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                              976810
                              The hostname is different and everything else is same. ( mount points / directories / backup-restore files )

                              The Database is up now, but the application EBS is trying to connect to the database on the same host ( since it was single node = Both apps and DB were on the same host )

                              Now, how can I configure the Application to tell it that the database is moved to a different hostname and how can I tell the database that it is not on the previous/old hostname but has moved to a new server/machine/hostname ?

                              I hope I am able to articulate it properly.
                              • 12. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                973807 wrote:
                                The hostname is different and everything else is same. ( mount points / directories / backup-restore files )

                                The Database is up now, but the application EBS is trying to connect to the database on the same host ( since it was single node = Both apps and DB were on the same host )

                                Now, how can I configure the Application to tell it that the database is moved to a different hostname and how can I tell the database that it is not on the previous/old hostname but has moved to a new server/machine/hostname ?

                                I hope I am able to articulate it properly.
                                I understand and I have already provided you with a solution. The easiest approach would be renaming the hostname to match the source one then follow the steps in my previous reply. You can change the hostname again after you are done with the steps to any other name then.

                                Thanks,
                                Hussein
                                • 13. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                                  976810
                                  Now, I got it. Because I was thinking how could I have two hostnames on the same network.

                                  I will try it and post the outcome for the benefit of the readers.
                                  • 14. Re: Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.9 Application & Database
                                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                    973807 wrote:
                                    Now, I got it. Because I was thinking how could I have two hostnames on the same network.

                                    I will try it and post the outcome for the benefit of the readers.
                                    If I understand you correctly, there is no database running on the source host, so it should be OK to rename it.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Hussein
                                    1 2 Previous Next