1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 6:59 AM by DarrylBurke Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Me like..
        Catch-22
        America today ...
        I think politics is what it always used to be. Maybe what changed is the perception and judgement in light of available information today. However, more information does not necessarily help the individual to make better conclusions.
        dislike guru ... dislike titles ... so-called experts ...
        Why do you let it bother you? Do you think that removing badges, titles and status will make things any better?
        • 16. Re: Me like..
          Billy~Verreynne
          Dude wrote:
          dislike guru ... dislike titles ... so-called experts ...
          Why do you let it bother you? Do you think that removing badges, titles and status will make things any better?
          Disliking something does not mean it is so bothersome, one lays awake at night because of it.

Titles are often just for the sake of ego. Some think the title makes the man. And crave a title, like guru, for nothing else but ego.

To quote cranky old Walther (Jeff Dunham), "+dumbass is in the genes+". ;-)
          • 17. Re: Me like..
            Catch-22
            Are you judging the existence of titles as such, or the person behind it? Do you also dislike qualifications, such as OCP, for the same matter?

If you were not already ACE, which I suppose suits you, I'd think you are just jealous. In your case I wonder if you are protective of your own position. I think both go hand in hand. If you dislike titles and such, or if it does not mean much to you, why do you need to discriminate people who do? I oppose this kind of social engineering in the forum, because I find it too arrogant and too generalizing for my taste and view of the world.

People have all kinds of motivations, and ego is the reason for many troubles. It applies to many facets of life. I think it is generally understood. I think titles, etc. are ok. I also have no problem if it spoils someone's ego to have one. Be it as it may. I rather have a problem if someone obtains or uses a title inappropriately.

I hope I did not offend you, which was certainly not my intention. I think we are discussing interesting topics, thought it might not be the best to do in a public forum.
            • 18. Re: Me like..
              Billy~Verreynne
              Dude wrote:
              I wonder if you are just trying to protect your own position or are envious of someone else's title. Are you judging the existence of titles as such, or the person behind it? Do you also dislike qualifications, such as OCP, for the same matter?
              My dislike can be summed up in one word. Discrimination. I grew up in a society where that was the norm. It is disgusting. And like race, titles (which goes hand-in-hand with perceived social status) are often used to discriminate in my experience. Hell, never mind title. In some places that can be because of your surname/caste. Or which geographical area you were born in. Or what your gender is.
              If you were not already ACE, which I suppose suits you, I'd think you are just jealous. In your case I wonder if you are protective of your own position. I think both go hand in hand.
              Never asked to be one. Never aspired or wanted to be one. It was totally unexpected. If I loose that title tomorrow, so what? It will not make me a less technically qualified. Will not change my answers or change my participation on OTN.
              It you dislike titles and such, or if it does not mean much to you, why don't you keep it to yourself and instead attack people who do? I oppose this kind of social engineering in the forum, because I find it too arrogant and too generalizing for my taste and view of the world.
              Forum history. Where people with few postings, or people using a pseudonym, or people who refused to publish their "educational qualifications" and "work experience", were belittled. Was before your time here...

The basic point I'm trying to make is that judging postings need to be based on the posting's content - not the title (e.g. Guru), or lack thereof (e.g. Journeyer), of the poster on OTN. It is stupid to think that a title like "guru/ace/whatever" mean one's postings are automatically more correct and worthy, than another poster's postings. Unfortunately, that is exactly what some seem to think.
              • 19. Re: Me like..
                Catch-22
                Ok. I think I understand your message, though you might perhaps want to be a bit more careful in order not to sound discriminating or too generalizing yourself. Including myself as well.

Regarding your last point, yes, I agree, some people seem to pay more respect (and points) to titles and messages than it actually deserves.

Well, I think removing status and titles (and points), and might as well make everyone anonymous, is not the solution. Not everyone with a propensity for status and title is necessarily a bad person and hence not useful for these forums. And not everyone matches or wants to match the image of selfless Samaritan. I think this forum is well advised to set an incentive and motivation for various characters and personal preferences. Diversity is the key to life, a mono-culture serves the tyrant. Communism, for instance, was a revolutionary idea with many positive aspects for a society, but apparently not a long-term solution since governments could not get the individualist and free mind to surrender. At which point I'd like to outline that I think currently dominating governments are just the other side of the same coin.

Back to your actual message, which was apparently addressed to certain experiences in the forum. I'd say just because there are a few idjuts does not mean the general idea is doomed or bad and needs to be adjusted or even removed. It asks for more enlightenment - Blessed are the ignorant.
                • 20. Re: Me like..
                  DarrylBurke
                  Dude wrote:
                  Any idea why there is a special icon for Java Champion? Is there anyone?
                  Here's one: https://forums.oracle.com/forums/profile.jspa?userID=825817

db
                  1 2 Previous Next