This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 4:59 AM by DarrylBurke RSS

Me like..

BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
..the new image tags for moderators.

About time too that some kind of recognition be given to the mods keeping OTN forums from being overrun by spam.
  • 1. Re: Me like..
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE
    +1 for that!
  • 2. Re: Me like..
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Oooo..... new pretty turnip. :D

ETA: Just noticed that it only has one turnip though and not two for the guru. Ah well. :)

Edited by: BluShadow on 04-Jan-2013 08:16
  • 3. Re: Me like..
    bigdelboy Pro
    BluShadow wrote:
    Oooo..... new pretty turnip. :D

ETA: Just noticed that it only has one turnip though and not two for the guru. Ah well. :)

Edited by: BluShadow on 04-Jan-2013 08:16
    Congratulations .... however I notice https://forums.oracle.com/forums/profile.jspa?userID=561312 ... does not seem to have a new fancy icon at the time I post this, though I certainly believe her to be a moderaor as she certainly does seem to censor private and bad bits on occasions !
  • 4. Re: Me like..
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    bigdelboy wrote:
    ...does not seem to have a new fancy icon at the time I post this, though I certainly believe her to be a moderaor as she certainly does seem to censor private and bad bits on occasions !
    Same here...

Nicolas.
  • 5. Re: Me like..
    BluShadow wrote:

The tooltip/hover text does say oracle.statuslevel.gurumod. :-)

Though I must admit to disliking the term "+guru+" on OTN (and in IT). It has religious tones. And faith-based teachers and masters in IT is something that I have a very fundamental problem with.
  • 6. Re: Me like..
    N Gasparotto wrote:
    bigdelboy wrote:
    ...does not seem to have a new fancy icon at the time I post this, though I certainly believe her to be a moderaor as she certainly does seem to censor private and bad bits on occasions !
    Same here...
    Yeah, I saw that Nicolas when I noticed the new badges this morning. A couple of mods have not received theirs yet.

One needs to raise this with OTN admin.
  • 7. Re: Me like..
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Yeah, you have to have responded to the invite, go to the ceremony, shake hands with Larry and then they send you the badge through the post...

/kidding
  • 8. Re: Me like..
    6363 Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:

Though I must admit to disliking the term "+guru+" on OTN (and in IT). It has religious tones. And faith-based teachers and masters in IT is something that I have a very fundamental problem with.
    +1

Unfortunately given the prevalence of slavish, unthinking belief in silver bullets and all things written on the internet, e.g. Bulk collect is fast, indexes are fast, count(1) is faster than count, it is somewhat appropriate.

I still think it would be better changed to, oh I don't know, almost anything else, given that it doesn't look like the whole stupid points and ranking system is going to be taken out the back and shot like it deserves.
  • 9. Re: Me like..
    Dude! Guru
    Perhaps the word Master was more appropriate than Guru. I think the word Guru in IT stems from Unix. Strange enough, some operating systems seem to have a vaguely religious notion. For instance, Apple Evangelist, Unix Guru. However, on the contrary, Windows Guru or Windows Evangelist I think sounds funny.

Any idea why there is a special icon for Java Champion? Is there anyone?
  • 10. Re: Me like..
    6363 Guru
    Dude wrote:
    Perhaps the word Master was more appropriate than Guru. I think the word Guru in IT stems from Unix. Strange enough, some operating systems seem to have a vaguely religious notion. For instance, Apple Evangelist, Unix Guru. However, on the contrary, Windows Guru or Windows Evangelist I think sounds funny.
    IT would be much improved if all gurus, evangelists and visionaries were replaced with proper engineers and scientists.
  • 11. Re: Me like..
    Dude! Guru
    I vote for more sense of responsibility instead of market share and profit hunting.
  • 12. Re: Me like..
    matthew_morris Expert
    Perhaps the word Master was more appropriate than Guru.
    Well then someone would feel obligated to point out that having Masters implies that Slaves also exist. I, of course, simply felt obligated to point out that someone else would feel obligated to point that out.

By inference, we can rule these out

Chieftain -- Insufficiently respectful of native Americans.
    Commandant -- Too militant
    Conqueror -- Too violent
    Controller -- Too controlling
    General -- [see commandant]
    Governor -- Suggests politics
    Head person -- Implies that a 'Leg' person is somehow inferior
    Patriarch -- Misogynistic
    Pedagogue -- No one would understand
    Preceptor -- Ditto above
    Skipper -- Requires a boat
    Top dog -- PETA would object
  • 13. Re: Me like..
    jgarry Guru
    Billy, you're starting to sound like [url http://bit.ly/X6NP1y]these idjuts. Please embrace Pastafarianism.

@Dude, I think the java icon came from the pre-aquisition Sun bbs, merged into here with some bumps in the road (apparently they had better board customizers who went away).

@Matthew, oh man, that is funny.
  • 14. Re: Me like..
    jgarry wrote:
    Billy, you're starting to sound like [url http://bit.ly/X6NP1y]these idjuts.
    That's is so typical of America today - so not surprising. Pretty much lost most respect I had for that country. Chuck Lorre's vanity card #397 says it all...

My dislike of the term guru is not just that is it (or used to be) a religious title - it is also how it is used as such by some so-called experts. Who have "followers" (acting like disciples) and whose teachings are often without the backup of any technical evidence, but instead subjected to NDAs and a "+guru with many qualifications knows better than you common man with few qualifications+" attitude.

And then there's those here that are on the quest of reaching guruhood by answering each and every question they can, even if it is only to rephrase what someone else already posted in the same thread - in the desperate hope of a few forum points.

Not to mention my general dislike for titles. I honestly do not give a flying spaghetti strand what titles one has.
    Please embrace Pastafarianism.
    I have and am. But I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a pasta strainer for my driver's photo. ;-)
1 2 Previous Next