This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2013 3:46 AM by Roger25 RSS

Are you satisfied with your test?

982971 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everybody,

After performing 2 certifications (I failed in both cases with 52 over 60 and 60 over 66) I have realized that most of the test questions are non-sense questions. Particulary those quesions related with exihibits (very long time consuming questions even if you do not look into it...).

Furthermore, the level of detail demanded in some cases is stupid. I am really discouraged about certification and now I undersand why in my country certifications are seen as a way for Oracle to earn money. Do you agree with that?

Regards,

Marcos
  • 1. Re: Are you satisfied with your test?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I have realized that most of the test questions are non-sense questions.
    It would help if you provided some information on the tests that you are unhappy about. Which test in particular (or tests if it was two different ones) are you referring to? I've taken 19 Oracle certification exams. I can't recall any case where I considered a question to be nonsense.
    Particulary those quesions related with exihibits
    (very long time consuming questions even if you do not look into it...).
    Exhibits can definitely use up test time. I write articles about several of the certification exams and have noted this fact. Often, however, the exhibits aren't required to answer the question. I recommend reading the questions and answers before looking at the exhibits to see if they can be skipped. Having the knowledge to realize when you can skip the exhibits is part of what is being tested.
    Furthermore, the level of detail demanded in some cases is stupid.
    I also don't understand what you mean. The exams are multiple choice. The question being asked might be complex, but ultimately the answer has to be simple.
    I am really discouraged about certification and now I undersand why in my country certifications are seen as a way for Oracle to earn money.
    Oracle makes money on that test whether you pass or fail it. If you fail, get discouraged, and stop taking the tests, they stop making money. The way in which to maximize profit would be to make the tests easy enough that anyone could pass. Then you would have passed the test, been happy, and eager to take more.

That aside, if you have any idea what Oracle charges for licensing and tech support fees, you'd realize that the money the company makes from certifications is effectively a rounding error.
  • 2. Re: Are you satisfied with your test?
    bigdelboy Pro
    user10676546 wrote:
    Hi everybody,
    Hi Marcos,

>
    After performing 2 certifications (I failed in both cases with 52 over 60 and 60 over 66)
    I shall take that you have taken 2 exams, I assume you got 52 right when 60 was needed, and 60 right when 66 was needed.

However I am sorry you failed after the effort you put in.

Hopefully you were not trying to take both exams on the same day.
    I have realized that most of the test questions are non-sense questions.
    Typically I disagree. Typically less than 5% of the questions at most could be thought to be inappropriate.
    Particulary those quesions related with exihibits (very long time consuming questions even if you do not look into it...).
    Part of the technique it to be able to evaluate those rapidly.
    Furthermore, the level of detail demanded in some cases is stupid.
    Thatis your opinion, and I can undertand it after having failed 2 exams.
    I am really discouraged about certification
    I am sorry to hear that. I would not be happy after failing two exams. It is not automatic that everyone is suitable for this industy, and failing certification may be telling you something. There again failing certification does always mean you can't do the job, it may be your preparaion was ineffective or incomplete or it may be taking certifcation exams doesn't suit. Or it may be english is your second langauage and that makes the exams more difficult. However it may be in indicator you may struggle with the associated job.
    and now I undersand why in my country certifications are seen as a way for Oracle to earn money. Do you agree with that?
    Well you haven't given me an indicator of what your country is a this point.

That said I strongly suspect Oracle makes relatively little money from certification. Certainly not directly. And I suspect directly associated certification training does not bring in too much either. Though it may seem as if it does to normal wage earners and students.

>
    Regards,

Marcos
    If I had just failed 2 tests I would probably not be in a good mood.

And depending on the tests I could be in an awkward position through not passing them.

Anyway take time off from the study, have a good weekend, and evaluate what you will do next.

Try to determine your weakspots, be honest with yourself.

Take some relaxation.

Dream about what paths you would take if give up certification.

Dream about what paths you would take if you continue with certification. Then be realistic. Try to identify what went wrong. Was it knowledge, preparation, practice, insufficient training, poor training, poor understanding of questions, poor time management in the exam ? Don't blame Oracle, the exam, the test center, anyone else, everyone else .... determine how you can get to point where you are over 85% certain you can achieve a score of at least half way between the pass mark and 100%. And be sure you can be honest with yourself in making this decision.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Everything in this is my opinion.

PS: Half way through this I notice Matthew has already answered ... hopefully I dont duplicate too much of what he has said.
  • 3. Re: Are you satisfied with your test?
    OracleNewbie828 Explorer
    user10676546 wrote:
    After performing 2 certifications (I failed in both cases with 52 over 60 and 60 over 66) I have realized that most of the test questions are non-sense questions. Particulary those quesions related with exihibits (very long time consuming questions even if you do not look into it...).
    Sorry you failed.

I have only taken 2 Oracle Certifications - so relatively less than others here.
    Those exhibit questions can take longer; but in my opinion it evens out the time with some straight forward questions.
    Furthermore, the level of detail demanded in some cases is stupid. I am really discouraged about certification and now I undersand why in my country certifications are seen as a way for Oracle to earn money. Do you agree with that?
    I have to admit it bugs me too that some of the answers to the multiple choice questions are somewhat close to each other; some almost the same sentence with one or a couple of words different. If memory serves me right, those requires you to know exactly what's the issue and the right steps to take.

Don't feel discouraged - and I'm not just saying that because I'm an advocate for Oracle products. I don't even work for Oracle. But, let me tell you this ... I have taken a few Microsoft certifications as well - and it's the same for MSFT certifications as well; which lead me to believe all professional exams aren't going to be easy and straight forward.

As for the making money comment - I do have that sense for Oracle as well, especially with the requirements for the certifications to attend Oracle University training! I do not like that at all. In this economy where training budgets are limited; it's almost impossible to fulfill that requirement before advancing the next level of certification. At least that's the situation with me.
  • 4. Re: Are you satisfied with your test?
    Roger25 Explorer
    >
    especially with the requirements for the certifications to attend Oracle University training! I do not like that at all. In this economy where training budgets are limited; it's almost impossible to fulfill that requirement before advancing the next level of certification. At least that's the situation with me.
    >

I agree with you. I will never pay thousands of $ just for attending an OU course.. especially for DBA OCP certifications. They are very expensive!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points