This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2013 6:42 AM by san_crazy RSS

unable to install oracle database client on Linux

san_crazy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Friends,

Let me explain the scenario first:
I have installed Oracle virtual box on windows host and have created Oracle Linux virtual machine as guest. I have installed the database server on my host machine but rest of the things(Peoplesoft peopletools etc....) on Oracle Linux guest.

Now, I am trying to installed database client on guest machine which is Linux so that I can connect to DB server running on host, but having difficulties in doing so. Its kinda messy, I am following the installation instruction given in the doc docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24322.pdf, but when I finally run command runInstaller.sh doesn't happen anything.

Actually, to install other software's I just double clicked the .sh file and it automatically started the installation process on a terminal window but when I clicked runInstaller.sh to install DB client, it didn't do anything.
Also, when I run the same command runInstaller.sh from command line after navigating to the directory where this file is present, It throws me error saying "no command found".

By the way, I wonder why the steps given in doc are so complex, I wish If I could just double click runInstaller.sh just like others and it start the installation process.

Anyone have installed Oracle DB client on Oracle Linux 6.4 please give the simple instructions...

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    sb92075 Guru
    Read The Fine Manual, Installation Guide
    found at http://docs.oracle.com

Handle:     san_crazy
    Status Level:     Newbie (5)
    Total Posts:     121
    Total Questions:     33 (20 unresolved)

why so MANY unanswered questions?
  • 2. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    Sorry, those are all resolved I just forgot to mark them answered.

Anyway, Thanks for you reply but as I mentioned earlier I already followed the installation guide but couldn't succeed.
    For instance:
    Unless you intend to complete a silent-mode installation, you must install the software from an X Window System workstation, an X terminal, or a PC or other system with X server software installed.

What does it mean?..what is X terminal and why I need to install it?

Even after following each step given in Chapter 5 onwards, when I run the command runInstaller, it says command not found.
  • 3. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    sb92075 Guru
    san_crazy wrote:
    Sorry, those are all resolved I just forgot to mark them answered.

Anyway, Thanks for you reply but as I mentioned earlier I already followed the installation guide but couldn't succeed.
    For instance:
    Unless you intend to complete a silent-mode installation, you must install the software from an X Window System workstation, an X terminal, or a PC or other system with X server software installed.

What does it mean?..what is X terminal and why I need to install it?
    Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) is a Java based tool that uses X-Windows as its User Interface.
  • 4. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    but why do I have to do with X Window system when I am installing client on Linux?

Please help me on this . I am really confused a lot.

Thanks
  • 5. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    Niket Kumar Pro
    if you have GUI in linux like windows then no need for x window.you can directly install on linux.
  • 6. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    sb92075 Guru
    san_crazy wrote:
    but why do I have to do with X Window system when I am installing client on Linux?

Please help me on this . I am really confused a lot.

Thanks
    which part of statement below do you NOT understand?

Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) is a Java based tool that uses X-Windows as its User Interface.
  • 7. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    Niket Kumar Pro
    have you done all the steps as per the documentation like install packages,changing kernel parameters creating user and group for oracle...and appropriate directory permissions before running runInstaller.sh?
  • 8. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    Niket Kumar wrote:
    have you done all the steps as per the documentation like install packages,changing kernel parameters creating user and group for oracle...and appropriate directory permissions before running runInstaller.sh?
    Yes I did check the Kernel version, packages, user and groups along with the permissions.

Have you installed the client in your PC? actually, previously I installed it on windows and was so easy. But now for Linux its so complicated.

If anyone already installed it on Linux then please tell me what steps you did?
  • 9. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    EdStevens Guru
    Niket Kumar wrote:
    if you have GUI in linux like windows then no need for x window.you can directly install on linux.
    I remember reading that starting with OL 6, the graphical desktop would not be included by default. I just now installed OL 6.3 under vbox to confirm, and sure enough.

So I really wonder what the OP means when he says " If I could just double click runInstaller.sh just like others "
  • 10. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    EdStevens Guru
    san_crazy wrote:
    Hi Friends,

Let me explain the scenario first:
    I have installed Oracle virtual box on windows host and have created Oracle Linux virtual machine as guest. I have installed the database server on my host machine but rest of the things(Peoplesoft peopletools etc....) on Oracle Linux guest.

Now, I am trying to installed database client on guest machine which is Linux so that I can connect to DB server running on host, but having difficulties in doing so. Its kinda messy, I am following the installation instruction given in the doc docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24322.pdf, but when I finally run command runInstaller.sh doesn't happen anything.

Actually, to install other software's I just double clicked the .sh file and it automatically started the installation process on a terminal window but when I clicked runInstaller.sh to install DB client, it didn't do anything.
    Also, when I run the same command runInstaller.sh from command line after navigating to the directory where this file is present, It throws me error saying "no command found".

By the way, I wonder why the steps given in doc are so complex, I wish If I could just double click runInstaller.sh just like others and it start the installation process.
    What do you mean "double click runInstaller.sh just like others". By default, OL 6 does not install the graphical desktop, so I'm curious as to where you are finding anything to "just double click".

when create a server under VBox, I want to treat it just like any physical server in my data center, using the same desktop tools. therefore, when I start the vm, I do not work at the console provided by vbox. I connect to the vm using PuTTY. To run graphical programs like the installer, or dbca, one needs to have an x-server running on the host desktop. There are several available, and I use xMing because it is lightweight and free. When an x-windows app runs on the server, the graphical output is redirected to your x-server process (xming, in my case) for rendering on your desktop. There are various ways of telling the vm where to redirect that ouput, but the easiest seems to be to configure the putty session for x-11 forwarding. With that you don't have to mess with the DISPLAY variable, and its attendant IP addresses and ports.

Anyone have installed Oracle DB client on Oracle Linux 6.4 please give the simple instructions...

Thanks in advance.
  • 11. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    What do you mean "double click runInstaller.sh just like others". By default, OL 6 does not install the graphical desktop, so I'm curious as to where you are finding anything to "just >double click".
    I have installed Oracle WebLogic, Tuxedo, Peoplesoft Peopletools, Peoplesoft Application. All these apps have setup.sh script so when I double click on it, gives few choices like display, run in terminal, run so I select run in terminal and then installations starts in a new terminal.

Please note that I have installed Oracle Linux 6.3 and it has a GUI which allows me to brows through the filesystem very conveniently also I am very new in Linux so please be easy on technical instructions you give.
  • 12. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    sb92075 Guru
    san_crazy wrote:
    Please note that I have installed Oracle Linux 6.3
    & freely available Oracle versions are NOT supported on Linux 6.3
  • 13. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    sb92075 wrote:
    OMG! you mean I cant install Oracle DB client on Oracle Linux 6.3? But then why I was able to install all peoplesoft products in it those were also free??

Is there any other way I can connect to Oracle DB server running on Windows 7 host from OL6.3 guest?
  • 14. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    sb92075 Guru
    san_crazy wrote:
    sb92075 wrote:
    OMG! you mean I cant install Oracle DB client on Oracle Linux 6.3? But then why I was able to install all peoplesoft products in it those were also free??

Is there any other way I can connect to Oracle DB server running on Windows 7 host from OL6.3 guest?
    ODBC
    JDBC
    http://www.squirrelsql.org/
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points