2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2013 11:11 AM by Steve.1234555-Oracle RSS

update report dynamically? (without page refresh)

Steve.1234555-Oracle
      I have a page with several regions, and only one region is visible at a time. Each region contains a report as well as a drop-down to alter the data displayed in the report. Currently each time a drop-down value is changed it submits the page, which causes the "main region" to become visible since it is set by default to display first.

Is there a basic tutorial I can follow on how to dynamically update the report output without a page refresh?

Thanks,
      Steve
        • 1. Re: update report dynamically? (without page refresh)
          fac586
          Steve wrote:
          I have a page with several regions, and only one region is visible at a time. Each region contains a report as well as a drop-down to alter the data displayed in the report. Currently each time a drop-down value is changed it submits the page, which causes the "main region" to become visible since it is set by default to display first.

Is there a basic tutorial I can follow on how to dynamically update the report output without a page refresh?
          The easiest way to do this is using dynamic actions. Create a Refresh dynamic action for each region that executes when the associated select list is changed:
          h4. When

Event: Change
          Selection Type: Item(s)
          Item(s): <select list associated with region>
          h4. True Action

Action: Refresh
          Fire On Page Load: Yes or No depending on the requirements of your application
          Region: <region to be refreshed>

Ensure that the value of the associated select list is submitted into session state before the refresh by specifying it in Page Items to Submit in the Source section of the report region definition.

There are some dynamic action tutorials on the Oracle Learning Library. Doesn't specifically mention Refresh in the abstract, so it may not cover this specifically, but it is an introduction to dynamic actions in general.

(It's probably possible to create a single dynamic action to handle refreshing all of the regions: we'd need more comprehensive details of your application, preferably reproducing it or a simplified version on apex.oracle.com.)
          • 2. Re: update report dynamically? (without page refresh)
            Steve.1234555-Oracle
            Thank you!! This is exactly what I needed to understand how to make dynamic report updates work!

Your assistance has been a huge help!

Steve