This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 7:51 PM by matthew_morris RSS

Oracle certification

983231 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi
i started studying Oracle Database, Could any one plz guide me
  • 1. Re: Oracle certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    980228 wrote:
    Hi
    i started studying Oracle Database, Could any one plz guide me:
    The forums covers certification examinatins for people wishing to demonstrate they have reached some proficiency in certain aspects of one of the many products of the Oracle Company. It does not offer generalised guidance study advice.

However to answer your question a little:

I think in general the best but not only approach) is to learn some general relational database concepts: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database gives a breif overview ) and some would certainly argue become aware of relational algebra, and then become familiar with SQL (Strucured query langauage) which is the most common way of accessing a relational database.

It's a bit hard to generalize, but the following links may help; though suitability may depend on other experience you may have. These tend to emphasise the practical rather than the theory:

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/homepage ( "Getting Stared")

Concepts manual is good but it may go into too quick a deep dive for beginners.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/express-edition/documentation/index.html
    -> Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 Documentation
    -> Getting Started: ( http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/admin.112/e18585.pdf )

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/tutorials/index.html

The most entry level exam oracle has in the area for Oracle (classic) database is 1z0-051 (11g SQL) ... but that does not lead to a certification in itself.
    ( MySQL has http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-870&p_org_id=28&lang=US which gets OCA also is entry level and in some ways covers a beter beginner spread but I have many issues with than exam/certification)

Outside of Oracle Matthew Morris who often psots outside here has identified the following general certification as a possible option for newbies covering a what seems to be good mix of practical and theory:

http://www.ciwcertified.com/_resources/CIW_Web_Development/CIW_Database_Design_EMEA.pdf

Be aware the following can also provide traning:

https://workforce.oracle.com/pls/wdp/new_home.main

... though sometimes this is bad.

Also visit http://education.oracle.com

In practice you may neeed to identify either local (perhaps cheap) training or self study from a book that you are comfortable with.

... I could spend all day refining and expandingthe answer, so I welcome input from others. All above are by current off-the-cuff thoughts at an instant in time, thoey woulld be slightly different tomorrow.

Best Wishes on your learning.

Edited by: bigdelboy on 07-Jan-2013 02:17 ... Okay ... i have now read from the post topic title you are interested in certification (I sometimes only read the content and not the title .. silly me). Also vist certification.oracle.com and explore the site there as it gives more information on certifcation.
  • 2. Re: Oracle certification
    983268 Newbie
    i want to know About OCJP.I have done MCA2012 and i just want to know benefits of certification..
    Give me Some suggestion????
  • 3. Re: Oracle certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    980265 wrote:
    i want to know About OCJP.I have done MCA2012
    Assume you mean Master of Computer Applications, a three-year Professional Master's degree in Computer Science awarded in India (wikipedia) not that you attended http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGntwNajnEs which was my first google attempt.
    and i just want to know benefits of certification..
    Give me Some suggestion????
    https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0633

http://www.pearsonvue.com/oracle/

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0114

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0620a

More seriously certification without experience counts for little, though that can vary from location to location. Certification with experience counts a lot. That said it is quite possilble an OCJP on your CV should strengthen it.

Edited by: bigdelboy on Jan 11, 2013 3:26 PM ..... I should have also but in the points below .... here is the Brandye's blog entry I was thinking of and didn't find .... perhaps the best of the lot ....
    https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0754
  • 4. Re: Oracle certification
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    I'd also like to comment on the question about the benefits of certification. One of the comments that we here over and over again from certified folks is that the real value of certification was in the preparation for the exam. During exam prep, you are required to have a solid knowledge base on so many areas, it makes you more well-rounded in your job and exposes you to features and concepts that you may not otherwise dip your toes into.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 5. Re: Oracle certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    Brandye Barrington wrote:
    One of the comments that we here over and over again from certified folks is that the real value of certification was in the preparation for the exam.
    I'm one of those folks who keeps repeating that mantra. However, I'll go one better. I get emails pretty much weekly from recruiters about open positions. I'm not in the market at the moment, so I ignore them for the most part. I will glance at the job specs just in case something wonderful has dropped in my lap before I send the recruiter my 'Thanks but not looking' spiel. On a couple recently, I've noticed that one of the position requirements was an Oracle Certification.

I've long suspected that certification is likely a factor in the preliminary sort HR does into 'Interview' / 'No Interview' resume piles. This goes a step beyond. Non-certified candidates need not apply. Frankly I don't even agree with the restriction. There are a lot of good people doing Oracle that do not have certifications. However, what this tells you is that having an Oracle certification can open doors that would otherwise be closed.
  • 6. Re: Oracle certification
    Rahul_India Journeyer

More seriously certification without experience counts for little, though that can vary from location to location. Certification with experience counts a lot. That said it is quite possilble an OCJP on your CV should strengthen it.
    I have 16 months experience.I am working on Oracle11g and but mostly on ETL tools.
    Will certification strengthen my resume

Edited by: Rahul India on Jan 14, 2013 4:09 PM
  • 7. Re: Oracle certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    Rahul India wrote:

I have 16 months experience.I am working on Oracle11g and but mostly on ETL tools.
    Good.
    Probably.

>
    It is likely that some SQL and PL/SQL exams would deepen your skills and improve your interview performance. I am unsure if there are certifications related to the skills you are using.
  • 8. Re: Oracle certification
    Rahul_India Journeyer
    bigdelboy wrote:
    Rahul India wrote:

Good.
    Probably.
    >
    >>
    It is likely that some SQL and PL/SQL exams would deepen your skills and improve your interview performance. I am unsure if there are certifications related to the skills you are using.
    i did a migration project from sybase to oracle.SO i used oracle a lot. And i will like make myself a Oracle resource only.So should i give the exam?
  • 9. Re: Oracle certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    Rahul India wrote:
    i did a migration project from sybase to oracle.SO i used oracle a lot. And i will like make myself a Oracle resource only.So should i give the exam?
    If you want to direct your career more towards Oracle, then pursuing certifications helps you in two ways. First, in studying for the certifications, you will expand your Oracle knowledge. This is probably 70% of the value in any IT certification. Second, having the certification(s) on your resume helps to provide you with credibility when looking for jobs or projects involving Oracle -- especially when you are starting out.
  • 10. Re: Oracle certification
    Rahul_India Journeyer
    matthew_morris wrote:
    Rahul India wrote:
    If you want to direct your career more towards Oracle, then pursuing certifications helps you in two ways. First, in studying for the certifications, you will expand your Oracle knowledge. This is probably 70% of the value in any IT certification. Second, having the certification(s) on your resume helps to provide you with credibility when looking for jobs or projects involving Oracle -- especially when you are starting out.
    I would like to know if you can tell that how much it is valued in India since most "faggots" here use dumps.
    It pisses me off very much because serious candidates have to suffer because those people.
  • 11. Re: Oracle certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    Rahul India wrote:
    matthew_morris wrote:
    Rahul India wrote:
    I would like to know if you can tell that how much it is valued in India since most "faggots" here use dumps.
    It pisses me off very much because serious candidates have to suffer because those people.
    You will not change India .... (quote from another Rahul I happen to know)

It sometimes only isn't just India ....

It is a genuine concern as I get the impression that even some apparently respectable MNC's have a fair number of people employed who used dump's ... and may be happy to employ those who use dumps.

When one is dealing with such people it often shows in the quality.

Now I dont know if this was a certified person, or whether he used dumps. And that could be me on a bad day. But allowing people in who use dumps may have increased risk of the following consequence:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/banking/9358252/RBS-computer-failure-caused-by-inexperienced-operative-in-India.html

.... and following that me and my company are no longer customers of that organisation!

( Even being certified doesn't always help here ... trust me anyone can have a bad day ... especially including me .... and I have got away with it by on the skin of my teeth on a handful of occasions ... but the better the training the less risk ).

In a lot of India the certification certificate will be seen as the honourable item.

If you see posts by Matthew and myself (and others) we will often say what is more important is the learning. Okay the certificate may help get the job, the employing Company may like it to get/maintain their OPN status and show to their customers they have Oracle certified personal working for them; but the real value we see is in the learning ( i think Matthew quoted 70% learning 30% certificate ).

The having of certifications should help you get an interview for a job. Especially if it is compatible with your experience.

In a quality interview the interviewer should test you to ensure your skills match the certification you have. Not whether your name begins with 'R' or 'V' or something.

In the UK in a direct interview with an employer most will be caught out (most interviewers in UK have bad stories) .... however they may get through with an offshore supplier.

Remember that these people who apparently cleverly study from dumps at some point may be caught out .... they in fact want everybody to be brought down to studying via braindumps as those who do not use braindumps have an advantage.

In general increased SQL and PL/SQL abilities can help with ETL work ... sometimes enabling some significantly better work. Studying for certification exams is one way to help here.

Anyway back to your question ... how valued is it in India. Can't be sure .... haven't been there .... ask arround locally or an employment agency or two or something. But remember most people will give you an answer that suits them. And while at student level braindump usage ifs rife the international community is looking with concern at some aspects of fraud and bad culture in India and it may be the MNC's can start cracking down on braindump usage.

Hopefully people in India will answer
  • 12. Re: Oracle certification
    Rahul_India Journeyer
    bigdelboy wrote:
    Rahul India wrote:
    matthew_morris wrote:
    Rahul India wrote:
    You will not change India .... (quote from another Rahul I happen to know)

It sometimes only isn't just India ....

It is a genuine concern as I get the impression that even some apparently respectable MNC's have a fair number of people employed who used dump's ... and may be happy to employ those who use dumps.

When one is dealing with such people it often shows in the quality.

Now I dont know if this was a certified person, or whether he used dumps. And that could be me on a bad day. But allowing people in who use dumps may have increased risk of the following consequence:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/banking/9358252/RBS-computer-failure-caused-by-inexperienced-operative-in-India.html

.... and following that me and my company are no longer customers of that organisation!

( Even being certified doesn't always help here ... trust me anyone can have a bad day ... especially including me .... and I have got away with it by on the skin of my teeth on a handful of occasions ... but the better the training the less risk ).

In a lot of India the certification certificate will be seen as the honourable item.

If you see posts by Matthew and myself (and others) we will often say what is more important is the learning. Okay the certificate may help get the job, the employing Company may like it to get/maintain their OPN status and show to their customers they have Oracle certified personal working for them; but the real value we see is in the learning ( i think Matthew quoted 70% learning 30% certificate ).

The having of certifications should help you get an interview for a job. Especially if it is compatible with your experience.

In a quality interview the interviewer should test you to ensure your skills match the certification you have. Not whether your name begins with 'R' or 'V' or something.

In the UK in a direct interview with an employer most will be caught out (most interviewers in UK have bad stories) .... however they may get through with an offshore supplier.

Remember that these people who apparently cleverly study from dumps at some point may be caught out .... they in fact want everybody to be brought down to studying via braindumps as those who do not use braindumps have an advantage.

In general increased SQL and PL/SQL abilities can help with ETL work ... sometimes enabling some significantly better work. Studying for certification exams is one way to help here.

Anyway back to your question ... how valued is it in India. Can't be sure .... haven't been there .... ask arround locally or an employment agency or two or something. But remember most people will give you an answer that suits them. And while at student level braindump usage ifs rife the international community is looking with concern at some aspects of fraud and bad culture in India and it may be the MNC's can start cracking down on braindump usage.

Hopefully people in India will answer
    Ok thanks for your answer.I work for a top notch MNC here in India.Most ,not all people i know who are certified have used dumps.
  • 13. Re: Oracle certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    Rahul India wrote:
    I would like to know if you can tell that how much it is valued in India
    I'm of the opinion that the value varies more from company to company rather than country to country. I noted in a post a few days ago that I have received a couple of job offers from recruiters in recent weeks that specifically had 'Oracle Certification' listed as one of the job requirements. I noted in that post that I think this is going overboard, as Oracle certification isn't required (or sufficient) to demonstrate that someone is qualified for a job working with Oracle. On the other end, I've worked with Oracle professionals that think certification is useless (in large part because of the cheating you mention). Their influence on the hiring process reduced the positive impact of candidates having certifications. on their resume.

The use of dumps are certainly a problem, and a disproportionate number of the posts that I have seen requesting them are from people for which English is a second language. I can't be sure what country they come from (and my own skills at a second language max out at counting to one hundred and/or asking a waiter for more ice), but I do suspect that dump usage in India is proportionately higher than in the US. I don't know all the reasons for that. It's certain that people that rely on dumps to pass will not have the same level of knowledge as someone that passed it after really studying the material. As with bigdelboy, I'm confident that I can tell the difference in an interview.

That said, you don't have to pass an exam for the Oracle certification program to help your career. As I've said (and whatever percentages I've used), the knowledge that you gain by studying for the certification is more valuable than a piece of paper and a line on your resume. The topics for *1Z0-144 - Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL* are an excellent example of the basics every PL/SQL programmer should know. You can use them and the Oracle documentation to improve your knowledge of PL/SQL without ever intending to follow through with the exam. Learning the material will help on any future project you're on that involves Oracle. It will also allow you to demonstrate your knowledge in any interview situation. That said, my own opinion for the certifications I pursue is that they cover knowledge I need to know. If I'm going to spend the time acquiring it, I might as well take the certification test at the end. There is value to having another certification on my resume after all, and I also find that I focus more on learning material when I know there's a test at the end.

As I see it, if you want to work more on Oracle, you have four options:

1. Don't try to learn more ahead of time. Hope that you get more Oracle projects and that you can learn what you need to know while doing them.
    2. Study Oracle documentation, books, white papers, etc. to learn more, but don't pursue certifications. Hope that you get an interview and can demonstrate your knowledge.
    3. Use dumps and pass Oracle certifications. Hope that the company/interviewer believes in the value of certifications but doesn't ask you any questions that require actual knowledge of Oracle.
    4. Study for and pass Oracle certifications. Hope that the company/interviewer believes in the value of certifications and asks questions that allow you to demonstrate your knowledge.
  • 14. Re: Oracle certification
    983231 Newbie
    Thanks all.. i got a lot of useful info planning to do OCA
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points