This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2013 8:27 PM by m_malinowski RSS

Oracle Linux DVD wont mount

Jimbo Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I am trying to mount my Oracle Linux 6-2 bootable disk that I installed from in order to manually copy off the packages directory onto the server ( to create a local YUM repository )

I have checked the DVD in my windows laptop and can see the packages folder ( so I know the DVD is iso9660 format ) however when I do the following on my linux server -

mkdir /cdrom
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /cdrom

I get the following -
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

when I do dmesg | tail I see

isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16
attempt to access beyond end of device

any idea of how to resolve this ?
Jim
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Dude! Guru
    Just because you can see the DVD content under Windows does not necessarily mean it is ISO9660. It could also be UDF or some other PC hybrid. You can can right click on the DVD in Windows, choose Properties and it should show you the File System format in the General Tab.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Jimbo Explorer
    File System format is CDFS in windows ( I believe equates to ISO9960 ? ) - which is what I kind of knew, given I have used this DVD to actually do the install on my linux server ( I was just wanting to mount it, so I could copy off the packages directory onto the server itself )

Jim
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Dude! Guru
    Yes, that should work.

Well, are the Linux server and your Windows computer the same machine?
    Did you use the same DVD in the same Linux server before?
    Is it erasable DVD media?

When I mount a DVD I usually just use e.g. "mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom" without specifying any options or file system and it usually works fine. The mount command examines the partition header and should automatically detect the files system. Can you try if this give the same error?
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Jimbo Explorer
    The windows and linux server are 2 different physical servers.

When I simply try mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom on the linux server it complains with
    you must specify the filesystem type

When I try mount /dev/cdrom -t iso9660 /cdrom it complains with
    wrong fs type, bad superblock on /dev/sr0 ... ( as I originally reported on my posting )

I am using a bog standard recordable DVD and I used this to install the server just a couple of days ago - stange indeed !

Jim
  • 5. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Dude! Guru
    Sounds to me like the DVD in the Linux server is broken or cannot handle the type of DVD media you are using.
  • 6. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Jimbo Explorer
    I'll burn the packages folder to a new DVD and see if I can mount this.
    Jim
  • 7. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Jimbo Explorer
    Are DVD drives covered by ISO9660 ? I saw a hit that said not all DVD drives are ( I gues this could be why it is complaining about the FS type ) ?
    However the hit did not offer an alternative mount command.
    I will burn the packages to a CDROM to see if that makes a difference
    Jim
  • 8. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Dude! Guru
    The format should work. You might have incompatible media, e.g. DVD+/-, defective burning software or defective DVD burner.
  • 9. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Jimbo Explorer
    Checked the drive on my windows server ( where I burnt the DVD ) and on my Linux Server. Both have the same DVD formats written on them.
    I burned the DVD using the native burning software of Windows 7 Professional.

I tried to mount an empty CD on my linux server and got the same error message ( reported in my earlier post ) as when trying to mount a DVD. Remember this is the same drive ( and DVD for that matter ) that I did the original Linux install from

In desperation I even tried to reinstall Linux 6-2 on my server - however the installer does not seem to fire up from the DVD drive ( even though I have checked that the BIOS has the drive at the first source in the boot order ) - this is the exact same DVD I did the original install from on this server. When I put other bootable DVD's in the drive it picks them up ok.

It is almost as if it is refusing to boot from the Linux 6-2 DVD because this is already installed on the server !

any thoughts
    Jim
  • 10. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Dude! Guru
    It is almost as if it is refusing to boot from the Linux 6-2 DVD because this is already installed on the server !
    No, that's not possible.

Something could be wrong in the burning process. I'd suggest to check the following:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file

Also make sure the ISO you have downloaded is not corrupted. - wasn't this a problem before?

You can compare the SHA-1 sum from the where you downloaded the file with your image file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290

Btw, your problem is probably not Linux, but Windows. ;-)
  • 11. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    Jimbo Explorer
    I burned from the same ISO image again but this time I used a freeware burner app ( instead of Windows 7 native burner ) and just for good measure I used an external USB DVD drive instead of my internal.

Recently had my windows laptop forceably upgraded to Windows 7 in my absence, and as part of this helpful upgrade it screwed my Nero 6 install ( hence why I was using Windows 7 burner ! )

Seems to have made a difference. So it wasn't the ISO image itself but either the drive or Windows 7 - I think your appreciation of Windows may be spot on !!

thanks,
    Jim
  • 12. Re: Oracle Linux DVD wont mount
    m_malinowski Newbie
    If you don't know type you can always use mount -t auto . Always works for me

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points