This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 5:29 PM by 861120 RSS

Cross Platform Tablespace Migration

981071 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My background is currently an DBA in other database platforms (DB2, MySQL, MSSQL) and i've been tasked with a migration of an oracle database. I'm trying to get a feel for the Oracle platform.

The Situation is as thus:
We are working up to transferring a mission critical 1.2 TB Dataset from a Big Endian 10.2 (Solaris Sparc) Platform to a Little Endian 10.2 (Microsoft NT) Platform (i'm currently uncertain as to the exact number of tablespaces/datafiles involved (as little as 4 potentially)

We're pursuing the transportable tablespace route to get the data converted and migrated. However due to the high availability needs of this data down time has to be minimized.

With this type transfer would there be a method to employ a replication like (log shipping) solution to this?

From what i have seen thus far, and right now my knowledge is limited.. the complexity of the conversion wouldn't allow for applying archive logs to the converted tablespaces.

In any case I have all the oracle documentation (administrative guide, advanced backup and recovery guide, reference and utility guide) am in the process of searching for a solution which would not have us take down the database for long periods of time.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I am posting this to RMAN Forums as it seems to be the best area to post this question.
  • 1. Re: Cross Platform Tablespace Migration
    rcc50886 Journeyer
    Its all depends upon how much downtime you will get for the migration ?

If you want to use the cross platform migration you need to place the tablespaces in readonly mode which requires a downtime for app perspective. If you get a enough downtime window then you can use Transportable tablespaces. You may also consider about creating a NFS mount point between the source and target with good network bandwidth.

If you don't get enough downtime then you probable need to implement goldengate or streams.

start capturing changes using the golden gate
    Perform initial load using the export/import ot datapump
    apply the changes through golden gate
    sync the source and target

But you may want to check what kind of datatypes your database has, Some specific datatypes may not supported by golden gate

-Thanks
  • 2. Re: Cross Platform Tablespace Migration
    861120 Explorer
    Hi Epikto,

The Oracle Goldengate its the best solution for you:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35209_01/index.htm

Goldengate works in several platforms (including big and little endian transformation), enabling high availability solutions, real-time data integration, transactional and etc...
  • 3. Re: Cross Platform Tablespace Migration
    981071 Newbie
    I will look at goldengate and see if it can meet our needs. However there may not be a consistent reliable connection between network endpoints
  • 4. Re: Cross Platform Tablespace Migration
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Goldengate may be the best solution. However since it provides continuous data synchronization you need to consider the demands on your hardware for this.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 5. Re: Cross Platform Tablespace Migration
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl also be aware that GG licenses are not cheap - if the cost is justifiable, then it is a viable solution

HTH
    Srini
  • 6. Re: Cross Platform Tablespace Migration
    9233598 Newbie
    I just did a non-downtime migration utilize goldengate , transportable tablespace from standby db of Production.

Worked out like a charm.
  • 7. Re: Cross Platform Tablespace Migration
    861120 Explorer
    It all depends on how much downtime you have!

Goldengate its best solution for the minimum downtime, but need the network very fast and reliable.

In this case you really need use the cross platform tablespace migration or using the expdp/exp (using parallel for more performance) tools, but using those you need more downtime.

Regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points