1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 3:27 AM by Giuseppe Bonavita RSS

Time Category in OTL

user1981031
      Hi All

I checked a lot but still unable to understand what is the signifance of time category in OTL...I was checking the seeded code for ant OTL Time Entry Rule and i can see there is some calculation for time category. eg there is a function called calc_timecard_hrs which has the below code:

-- description
      -- calculates timecard hrs by traversing the self service time
      -- deposit building block and attribute PL/SQL tables for a
      -- specified date range.
      -- Uses dynamic SQL to determine if the hours fall into the
      -- time category specified by passing the name, id or setting
      -- a global variable for the time_category_id

l_hours := calc_timecard_hrs (
                p_hrs_period_start => p_hrs_period_start
           ,     p_hrs_period_end => p_hrs_period_end
           ,     p_tco_bb     => p_tco_bb
           ,     p_tco_att     => p_tco_att
           ,     p_time_category_id => hxc_time_category_utils_pkg.g_time_category_id );

What i could not understand is what is this time category and why it is being used to calculate hours. Also any idea at which point of in flow the value
      hxc_time_category_utils_pkg.g_time_category_id gets populated. I hope I am clear with my question.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Time Category in OTL
          Giuseppe Bonavita
          Time categories are a sort of big umbrella to group and report on timecards entry. Its value can also be used inside fast formulae.

From the Oracle® Time and Labor Implementation and User Guide Release 12 Part No. B31652-02:

+"You can define time categories for reporting purposes and to identify the time to be analyzed by time entry rule formulas. For example, you can define categories for particular projects, or for vacation, or overtime."+

+"A time category is a group of mapping components that can appear on a timecard - such as elements, projects, or tasks - with one or more specific values for each component. For example, you could define the category Regular Time containing the elements Regular Salary and Time Entry wages."+

+"Time Categories can contain other time categories, as well as individual components. For example, you could define time categories for Sickness and Vacation, then define a third category called Absence that contains these two categories."+